17994Staff Needed for Bushwick Community High School

  • S. E. Anderson
    Jul 10, 2014
      ED Activists:

      Bushwick Community High School (BCHS) is a transfer school that serves young people in transition, between the ages of 17-21 years old.  In addition to being over aged, They come to us with a myriad of issues:  some  are homeless, some are parents, some are gang members, others are the sole financial support of their entire household.  Many face challenges and responsibilities far greater than those of the average teenager.

      This past June, six key staff members have left BCHS to pursue other opportunities. These core faculty have been the heart and soul of our school and embody our mission of education for liberation.  They have played a major role in promoting culturally relevant classes like Slavery,  Race, Class and Poverty, and BCHS Seminar, a foundational class for entering students.  They have also been instrumental in shaping the family-oriented and non-violent culture of our school community.

      Although these staff members are irreplaceable, we owe it to our students to adequately fill the gap that they have left.  We are seeking culturally grounded individuals who can connect with our students and continue our legacy of transformation and uplift.

      Currently, we are seeking to fill the following vacancies:  special education (2), living environment, social studies (focus on U.S. History), and math. These educators must be NYS Certified and must possess a strong desire to work with our unique student population.

      Interested candidates should email their resume and cover letter to Keri Watkins at WKeri@... as soon as possible.

      s. e. anderson
      author of The Black Holocaust for Beginners
      www.blackeducator.org
      www.blackeducator.blogspot.com
      If WORK was good for you, the rich would leave none for the poor. (Haiti)