Our Daily Bread Sunday - September 2, 2012 (English Version)

  • Ronal Baharuddin Hutagaol
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 30, 2012

      Psalm 119:17-24 New International Version (NIV)

      17 Be good to your servant while I live,

          that I may obey your word.

      18 Open my eyes that I may see

          wonderful things in your law.

      19 I am a stranger on earth;

           do not hide your commands from me.

      20 My soul is consumed with longing

           for your laws at all times.

      21 You rebuke the arrogant, who are accursed,

          those who stray from your commands.

      22 Remove from me their scorn and contempt,

          for I keep your statutes.

      23 Though rulers sit together and slander me,

           your servant will meditate on your decrees.

      24 Your statutes are my delight;

           they are my counselors.

      Two-Way Communication

      Your testimonies also are my delight and my counselors. —Psalm 119:24

      Have you ever been stuck in a conversation with someone who talks only about himself? To be polite, you strike up a dialogue by asking questions. The other person proceeds to talk endlessly about himself, and he never once asks you anything. It is all about that person—and nothing about you.

      Imagine what it must be like for our heavenly Father to listen to our prayers during our devotional time. We may have read a portion of His Word, but then in prayer we swiftly shift focus exclusively to our needs. We ask for help in solving a problem, providing for a financial need, or healing a physical ailment. But the passage we’ve just read doesn’t even enter into our prayers. What God has just said to us goes largely unacknowledged.

      Apparently the writer of Psalm 119 did not have this perspective. Instead, he sought God’s help in understanding the Word: “Open my eyes,” he said, “that I may see wondrous things from Your law” (v.18). And as he prayed he expressed how he treasured God’s Word, calling it his “delight” (v.24).

      Let’s develop a discipline of praying our response to the Word. It just might transform our devotional time. Bible reading and prayer should reflect a two-way communication.

      Lord, I’ve just read Your Word to me in Psalm 119.

      Give me a strong desire like the psalmist’s to keep Your

      Word. Show me what I can do to make it my delight and

      counselor. Open my eyes and heart to learn from You.

      Listen to God’s Word then pray about what you’ve heard.