What is Renhai?

  • Vaughn Seward
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 12, 2007
      It is perhaps appropriate for the first message to post the description of renhai that we have been using for the past month or so:

      What is Renhai?

              A Renhai consists of three themed haiku verses typically written by two writers. The final result is similar to the first three verses of a rengay (three-line haiku, two-line haiku, three-line haiku). What is unique about Renhai is that the middle two-line verse jointly written. That is, one line is written by one writer and the other line by the another writer.

      Background

              When Gary Gay came up with idea of Rengay, he wanted a simpler, shorter renku. Six verses seemed long enough to be interesting and for developing a theme but not too long that readers would grow tired of reading it. He also wanted simpler rules that provided the writers a little more freedom. Now, what if a Rengay-like poem was even shorter? One verse is a Haiku and two verses is a Tanka. What about three verses? This idea nicely corresponds with the 3 lines in a haiku. Could it be possible to have such a short rengay-like poem? Thus the idea of RenHai was born.

      ~Vaughn Seward