Re: New blog article: Science: Anti-wind groups appear to spread illnesses they complain of

  • TomG
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 24, 2013
      Sorry, can't resist a brief followup on the solar/wind thing. So, we have a 4.7-kilowatt solar system installed on our property. Right now, it is a cloudy, but bright, day outside and our system, at this moment, is generating 1.21 kW. Please explain how that is different from a 20-MW wind farm, at a time of moderate winds, generating 5 MW.

      --- In renewable-energy@yahoogroups.com, "TomG" <tomgray@...> wrote:

      > Change is always threatening. Couple it with the ability to spread false information at the speed of light via the Internet, and presto, you have a movement.
      >
      > We've discussed your comment about wind's unpredictability before. Here in Vermont, FYI, the average capacity (capacity factor) for wind is about 30% and for PV, it's about 15% at best. Just saying.
      >
      > --- In renewable-energy@yahoogroups.com, OffGridSolar@ wrote:
      > >

      > > Tom, Why would anyone want to do that? I am a solar PV guy and I realize wind works. The only problem with wind is we never know how much wind is available. Unlike the sun's energy we know that one square meter represents 1,000 watts. Wind power has been around for many years. I really think it is important that we all renewable energies that we can.

    • Dot Sulock
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 25, 2013
        Wind is great! Solar is great! No need to compete! Geothermal is great! Wave power is great! We need them all!
        What aren't great is fossil fuels and nuclear power.