Re: [renewable-energy] car alternator vs. permanent magnet generator

  • OffGridSolar@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 31, 2012
      All alternators are DC. The term alternator can produce both AC or DC. With
      the diode bar it is DC only. The reason why a alternator is used in a car
      is to charge the battery. There is also some form of DC regulator so the
      alternator does not over charge the battery. A permanent magnet generator is
      usually found in wind generators. These are always DC power. Then someplace
      in those big wind farms is a inverter that converts from DC to AC power.
      To me these mechanical monsters require to be maintained a lot. I have been
      told up to 20% of the cost a year for the water installed systems and 15%
      of the cost a year on land. This is one of the reasons why I like solar
      photovoltaic systems. Wind is un-reliable, but the sun is not! Actually it is
      the sun's energy that causes wind. But at least we know when the sun is
      coming up and going down. This is so simple just look at a local news paper.
      Since solar PV has no moving parts it is a lot more reliable than a
      mechanical alternator. Solar PV is direct energy conversion. Alternators and
      permanent magnet generators require some force to turn them. Wind and solar PV and
      solar thermal along with the grand daddy hydro is the best solution to not
      just the world electric power generating but it is the only solution to
      making the world's natural resources such as coil, oil and natural gas last
      more years. I guess no one but me understands there is a limited amount of
      coal, and natural gas along with oil in our earth. What happens when we have
      no more? Thomas Edison discovered this fact back in 1935. Some say we have
      less than 7 years oil at the rate we burn oil. It take thousands of years
      for our earth to make oil and yet it takes seconds to burn it. Our only
      solution for the world's energy problems is to stop burning things!