October Biodiesel Bulletin

  • steve spence
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 2, 2001
      From: "National Biodiesel Board" <biodiesel@...>
      To: "newsletter" <biod@...>
      Sent: Thursday, November 01, 2001 12:10 PM
      Subject: October Biodiesel Bulletin

      > BIODIESEL BULLETIN
      > A Monthly Newsletter of the
      > National Biodiesel Board
      > November 1, 2001
      >
      > Headlines:
      >
      > Military Bases, NASA to Use Biodiesel
      > NYSERDA Grants to Include Biodiesel Use
      > Study Shows Renewable Fuels Legislation Would Benefit Farmers, Taxpayers
      > Washington Update
      > Soy-Based Biodiesel Fuels Toronto Hydro Fleet
      > Society of Automotive Engineers Publishes Biodiesel Paper
      >

      > Military Bases, NASA to Use Biodiesel
      >
      > The U.S. government has taken a step in the direction of increasing
      domestic
      > energy security by using more domestically produced, renewable fuel within
      > federal government agencies. The Defense Energy Support Center (DESC) is
      > making biodiesel available at 17 government sites throughout the U.S. The
      > move streamlines the federal procurement process and allows government
      > fleets to obtain biodiesel just as easily as petroleum diesel through DESC
      > services.
      >
      > Federal government biodiesel users taking part in the program include
      > several military bases such as the National Park Service; the U.S. Postal
      > Service in Manhattan, New York; the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA)
      > National Arboretum; the National Aeronautics & Space Administration
      (NASA);
      > Camp Lejeune Marine Corps Base in North Carolina and Miramar Marine Corps
      > Air Station in San Diego. The U.S. military services will use biodiesel
      in
      > commercial administrative vehicles.
      >
      > The quantity of fuel procured under the DESC solicitation is about 1.5
      > million gallons of B20 (20% biodiesel/80% diesel). Both military and
      > civilian fleets will be able to attain B20 at various fueling sites
      > throughout the country. Although the DESC is a component of the
      Department
      > of Defense, it is the recognized expert in the procurement of fuels for
      both
      > the civilian and military agencies of the federal government. By using
      the
      > DESC to buy the fuel, all federal government agencies are able to
      streamline
      > their acquisition process by simply placing orders against the contract
      > entered into by DESC.
      >
      > "This is the largest single procurement of biodiesel to date," said Joe
      > Jobe, executive director of the National Biodiesel Board. "It is symbolic
      > of the growing interest in using biodiesel in federal and civilian fleets.
      > It also shows that the U.S. government has confidence in this thoroughly
      > tested fuel that has become one of the fastest-growing alternative fuels
      > according to the Department of Energy."
      >
      > NYSERDA Grants to Include Biodiesel Use
      > The New York State Energy Research and Development Authority (NYSERDA) has
      > set the wheels in motion for the fourth round of its New York State Clean
      > Cities Challenge for projects that accelerate the introduction of
      > alternative fuel vehicles in Clean City stakeholder fleets. Biodiesel
      fuel
      > use in diesel vehicles is included in the program.
      > NYSERDA funds will be awarded on a competitive basis, and can be used to
      > cost-share up to 75% of the proposed project, including contracts to
      > purchase alternative fuels such as biodiesel or E-85.
      > Eligible proposers must be stakeholders of a U.S. DOE-designated Clean
      City.
      > Stakeholders eligible to submit proposals under this solicitation are
      > limited to fleets of 10 or more light, medium or heavy-duty vehicles
      > operated by:
      > · Municipal agencies
      > · School districts
      > · Businesses and corporations
      > · Not-for-profit institutions, organizations, and associations
      >
      > NYSERDA expects to make multiple awards for this round of the Clean Cities
      > Challenge. The maximum award available per project will be $150,000.
      > PROPOSALS ARE DUE: November 15, 2001 3:00 PM.
      >
      > Faxed or e-mail copies will not be accepted. Proposals must be clearly
      > labeled and submitted to:
      >
      > Karen Whalen, PON No. 610-01
      > NYS Energy Research and Development Authority
      > Corporate Plaza West
      > 286 Washington Avenue Extension
      > Albany, New York 12203-6399
      >
      > For more information, visit http://www.nyserda.org/610pon.html. Technical
      > questions can be directed to Charle-Pan Dawson (518) 862-1090, ext. 3244.
      > Contractual questions can be directed to Jane Powers at (518) 862-1090,
      ext.
      > 3342, or jap@....
      >
      > Study Shows Renewable Fuels Legislation Would Benefit Farmers, Taxpayers
      >
      > Creating a federal renewable fuel standard would increase prices farmers
      > receive for soybeans and corn, boost net farm income, and reduce farmers'
      > reliance on government payments, according to a study by the nation's
      > leading agricultural policy research group. The Illinois Farm Bureau
      > commissioned the study.
      >
      > The Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) analyzed the
      > impact of the Renewable Fuels for Energy Security Act, sponsored by
      Senators
      > Chuck Hagel (R-Neb.), and Tim Johnson (D-SD). The bill would require
      > renewable fuels to account for 3% of the nation's motor fuel supply by
      2011.

      > Researchers used estimates that soy oil used in biodiesel production would
      > increase more than nine fold, from 264 million pounds per year to nearly
      two
      > and a half billion pounds over the next decade. Researchers say that
      > increased demand for soy-based biodiesel would increase the price of
      > soybeans by 17 cents per bushel by 2011.
      >
      > Farmers would benefit significantly from greater renewable fuel usage.
      The
> [...]
      > www.ilfb.org.
      >
      > Washington Update
      >
      > The only thing certain in Washington these days is uncertainty. With the
      > recent closings of Senate and House office buildings due to anthrax
      > contamination and other complicating issues, it is difficult to predict
      the
      > Congressional schedule.
      >
      > In order to save time, Senate Majority Leader Daschle (D-SD) has decided
      > that energy issues will be dealt with directly on the floor of the Senate,
      > bypassing normal committee procedures. Senate Energy Committee Chairman
      > Jeff Bingaman (D-NM) has been working on a draft bill. However, his
      > committee staff was displaced for over a week while the Dirksen building
      was
      > closed and work on the legislation was delayed during this period. Bill
      > development has resumed but no particulars regarding the draft have been
      > released. Senators Tim Johnson (D-SD) and Daschle are involved in this
      > process and are working to include a renewable standard for biodiesel and
      > ethanol. Senate Energy Committee Ranking Member Frank Murkowski (R-AK) is
      > also developing an energy bill. Senator Chuck Hagel (R-NE) is working
      with
      > Sen. Murkowski to include a renewable standard in the republican draft.
      > Both bills may also include energy tax issues.
      >
      > Since timing of consideration of major energy issues is unclear, ASA and
      the
      > biodiesel industry will continue to work to make certain biodiesel
      > provisions, both the tax proposal and a renewable standard, are included
      in
      > a final energy package. Final consideration may very well be next year.
      >
      > Soy-Based Biodiesel Fuels Toronto Hydro Fleet
      >
      > Toronto Hydro has launched a large-scale test of vegetable-based biodiesel
      > fuel in its fleet of cars, trucks and vans as a first step to converting
      > 100 percent biodiesel. By using a mixture of soy-based biodiesel and
      > low-sulfur diesel in its fleet of vehicles, Toronto Hydro expects to
      improve
      > Toronto air quality by reducing harmful vehicle emissions.
      >
      > One hundred of Toronto Hydro's cars, vans and trucks will begin using B20
      > through the winter of 2001/2002. If testing is successful, Toronto Hydro
      > wants to use biodiesel in all its vehicles.
      >
      > "Switching to biodiesel will reduce air pollution in Toronto and help in
      the
      > fight against global warming," said Keith Stewart of the Toronto
      > Environmental Alliance. "Toronto Hydro is rapidly becoming a leader in the
      > transition to cleaner, renewable forms of energy and we look forward to
      > other companies following suit."
      >
      > "The Ontario Soybean Growers are thrilled that Toronto Hydro has chosen to
      > investigate the use of biodiesel fuel as a means of doing their part to
      > reduce pollution," said Liam McCreery, chair of the Ontario Soybean
      Growers,
      > a provincial commodity organization working to help develop the market for
      > biodiesel in Canada. The organization is a member of the National
      Biodiesel
      > Board. "The use of biodiesel provides an excellent opportunity for
      Canadian
      > agriculture to play an integral role in helping to alleviate the country's
      > growing urban smog problem," he said.
      >
      > Society of Automotive Engineers Publishes Biodiesel Paper
      >
      > The Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) recently announced that it has
      > selected a biodiesel paper authored by Steve Howell of MARC-IV, Chris
      Sharp
      > of the Southwest Research Institute and NBB Executive Director Joe Jobe to
      > appear in SAE Transactions-Journal of Fuels & Lubricants.
      >
      > The paper, entitled "The Effect of Biodiesel Fuels on Transient Emissions
      > from Modern Diesel Engines, Part II: Unregulated Emissions and Chemical
      > Characterization" examines the results of the biodiesel Tier I Health
      > Effects testing requirements submitted by NBB to the US Environmental
      > Protection Agency under section 211(b) of the Clean Air Act Amendments of
      > 1990. The test results showed that biodiesel significantly reduces health
      > threats and results in a 90% reduction in many air toxins compared to
      > petroleum based diesel fuel. Biodiesel is the first and only alternative
      > fuel to have successfully completed Tier I and Tier II of the health
      effects
      > testing requirements.
      >
      > Howell, who managed the project on behalf of NBB and currently serves as
      the
      > Vice-Chairman of the National Biodiesel Accreditation Commission,
      Technical
      > Director for NBB, and Chairman of the American Society of Testing and
      > Materials standards taskforce says the technical information in the report
      > is some of the highest quality he has ever seen. "The testing protocols
      > that were used by SwRI and the high quality of the data obtained and
      > reported upon were the main reasons why SAE chose this paper to be printed
      > in this esteemed publication. Many researchers have gone their whole
      career
      > without getting a paper in Transactions. Not only is it of the highest
      > quality, but the results are quite impressive for biodiesel."
      >
      > "The paper was judged to be among the most outstanding technical research
      > published in that field in 2000," said Debra Larison, technical paper
      > coordinator for SAE. Out of the more than 2000 technical papers that were
      > written in 2000, SAE selected just 284 for publication.
      >
      > The volume can be ordered online at www.sae.org/bookstore.

      Steve Spence
      Subscribe to the Renewable Energy Newsletter:
      http://www.webconx.com/subscribe.htm

      Renewable Energy Pages - http://www.webconx.com
      Mirror Site http://www.webconx.dns2go.com/
      sspence@...
      (212) 894-3704 x3154 - voicemail/fax
      We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors,
      we borrow it from our children.