Bach Sonatas and Partitas for solo violin.

  • ymm
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 2, 2006
      Rachel Podger's or Sigiswald Kuijken's?

      Thanks,
      Yip

      Send instant messages to your online friends http://asia.messenger.yahoo.com

    • Ken Holder
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 3, 2006
        At 10:47 AM 7/2/2006, ymm wrote:

        Rachel Podger's or Sigiswald Kuijken's?

        Well, I have Sergiu Luca on Nonesuch HC-73030 (3 LP box).

        Ken Holder
        Just a Poor, Simple, Country-Bumpkin Music-Lover

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 3, 2006
          In the modern violin realm(and I do not care for old instruments and
          flat pitch in particular), I like Grumiaux. Bach as God would play it,
          as I think of it.

          But having played these pieces so much myself, I must say I never
          listen to them in recorded form to speak of. For the famous Chaconne,
          I have REG, myself--I played it on my graduation recital from music
          school(college) longer ago than one likes to think of. I had a lot of
          guts in those days, and I was determined to make a statement, as it
          were, by playing this summit of violin virtuosity. It is an
          interesting experience for a violinist--alone on stage without pause
          for 13 minutes or so of really difficult going. It went all right,
          however, and I have always been glad I did it,even if it looks a bit
          like hubris from the viewpoint of maturity. This was recorded but it
          is not available to the public, and never will be because the tape is
          in bad shape, sorry.)

          REG

          --- In regsaudioforum@yahoogroups.com, Ken Holder <ken.holder@...>

        • nedmast2@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 3, 2006
            I have the Sergiu Luca set on CD's - quite a nice performance and nice recording.  Haven't heard the ones you mentioned.  But if you can spring for more than one set and want one on the modern violin, Nathan Milstein (as REG indicated) is hard to beat.  I have it on vinyl (recorded in 1975, I believe) but imagine it's been reissued on CD.  It won lots of awards, and deservedly so, I think.

            Ned
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 3, 2006
              Yes, this is very good, though some people like the earlier one of his
              even better. I heard Milstein do the second partita live in Bonn in
              1980--the concert was sold out so they sold seats on stage and I was
              sitting on the stage about ten feet from him. To say this was
              memorable would be to understate the case!

              REG

              --- In regsaudioforum@yahoogroups.com, nedmast2@... wrote:

              > I have the Sergiu Luca set on CD's - quite a nice performance and
              nice
              > recording. Haven't heard the ones you mentioned. But if you can
              spring for more
              > than one set and want one on the modern violin, Nathan Milstein (as
              REG
              > indicated) is hard to beat. I have it on vinyl (recorded in 1975,
              I believe) but
              > imagine it's been reissued on CD. It won lots of awards, and
              deservedly so,
              > I think.
              >
              > Ned

            • ymm
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 3, 2006
                I was at the bokstore a few days ago and took a look at the 2006  Gramophone CD bible, and they recommended Podger and made some not too nice remarks about Milstein. They sure are biased ,aren't they?

                Yip