Re: [regsaudioforum] Turntables, etc.

  • Promac Machining
    Message 1 of 7 , May 1 12:24 PM
      I think the Benz Ruby is the problem. What Basis table
      do you own? Disclaimer:I like the colored presentation
      of Koetsu's and really don't care for Benz carts. or
      Shelter carts. for that matter.
      I auditioned (at home)a Basis 2001 with a Vector
      tonearm and Koetsu Black cartridge and thought that is
      was a bit unbalanced, although somewhat enjoyable to
      listen to, just my opinion of course.

      --- joe_yellowdog <joe_yellowdog@...> wrote:

      ---------------------------------
      What kinds of turntables/arms/cartridges are people
      here happy
      with? I have two systems with turntables and the
      recent discussion
      here has made me contemplate a change to my system. I
      have many,
      many LPs so going completely digital is not a path I
      want to take.

      In my office system I have Rega Planar 3 and Rega
      Exact MM
      cartridge. I bought this set-up used and paid very
      little for it.
      I know that there are lots of problems with the Rega
      system
      (including no clamp and ringing glass platter, etc),
      but I got it
      cheap.

      My main system contains more expensive gear: a Basis
      table and very
      well reviewed Basis Vector arm (medium mass) with a
      Benz Ruby (MC)
      cartridge. The platter is acrylic (no mat) with a
      clamp. I have
      been unhappy with this set-up for some time and have
      blamed the
      problems on the cartridge. I have been planning to buy
      a new
      cartridge, but have not gotten around to it. The more
      I read on this
      forum, though, the more I think the problem may be
      more fundamental
      than the cartridge.

      I actually find that I prefer the Rega, which I know
      is not accurate
      at all, to the Basis/Benz. Given this preference,
      and given the
      preference here for low mass/high compliance MM, I am
      thinking of
      buying one of the Moerch arms (well reviewed by REG
      and everyone
      else) and a compliant MM cart.

      One of the problems is that there are few such
      cartridges available
      any more. The Audio Technica AT150MLX (about $300
      street price) is
      really the only reasonably "high-end" one I can find
      available, and
      the few reviews of it have been mixed. Other
      candidates include the
      Grado, Music Maker and Clearaudio wood body moving
      magnets, but each
      of these seem to have their issue too.

      In any event, I have to buy without hearing first.
      Since I
      discovered this forum (and before it the HUG), I have
      changed my
      system (and audio attitude) based on advice of forum
      members and, of
      course, REG's point of view has been invaluable. Not
      only am I
      extremely happy with my current system (which was
      chosen by
      slavishly following REG's preferences), but I have not
      even
      contemplated buying new gear (except now with
      turntable/arm/cart)
      for a long time. For those of us who have limited
      time available to
      following the audio world and little chance to hear
      the equipment
      that is out there, the opportunity to participate in a
      forum like
      this is remarkable (not that this is primarily a
      consumer forum, the
      more important broader discussion here has generally
      helped me
      appreciate audio in a much richer way).

      So, I hope that maybe someone here has some experience
      with
      currently available arm/table/cartridge combinations
      that make sense
      (and good music). If not, maybe I will just move the
      Rega into the
      listening room and live with inaccurate, unclamped but
      lively,
      music -- or record and sell the LP's -- but what would
      I use as a
      source to record them? Joe

      Electronics hobby
      Audio electronics
      Craft hobby
      Hobby and craft supply
      Electronics
      Hobby

      Terms of Service.

      ---------------------------------
    • joe_yellowdog
      Message 2 of 7 , May 2 10:29 AM
        I have just what you auditioned: Basis 2001 with Vector arm. I am
        definitely going to get a new cartridge, and I guess if I am going
        to get a high compliance art, I will have to change arms as well to
        get lower mass and that leads to possibility of change of table
        to . . . There appear to be few high quality low mass arms still
        available. Moerch seems to the logical candidate, but what
        reasonably priced table to put it on? Joe

> [...]
        > time available to
        > following the audio world and little chance to hear
        > the equipment
        > that is out there, the opportunity to participate in a
        > forum like
        > this is remarkable (not that this is primarily a
        > consumer forum, the
        > more important broader discussion here has generally
        > helped me
        > appreciate audio in a much richer way).
        >
        > So, I hope that maybe someone here has some experience
        > with
        > currently available arm/table/cartridge combinations
        > that make sense
        > (and good music). If not, maybe I will just move the
        > Rega into the
        > listening room and live with inaccurate, unclamped but
        > lively,
        > music -- or record and sell the LP's -- but what would

      • Richard Tuck
        Message 3 of 7 , May 2 11:31 AM
          I'm currently running a Rega RB300 with none of the third-party modifications with the Elac Cartridge at 1g.  It tracks the 300Hz high amplitude bands both vertical and horizontal with low measured distortion (~1%).

          Spec on the cartridge is compliance 45 x 10-6 , tip mass 0.45mg.  Price in the UK is ~$270 less tax.

          Richard

          I have just what you auditioned:  Basis 2001 with Vector arm.  I am
          definitely going to get a new cartridge, and I guess if I am going
          to get a high compliance art, I will have to change arms as well to
          get lower mass and that leads to possibility of change of table
          to . . . There appear to be few high quality low mass arms still
          available. Moerch seems to the logical candidate,  but what
          reasonably priced table to put it on?  Joe

          > I think the Benz Ruby is the problem. What
          Basis table
          > do you own? Disclaimer:I like the colored
          presentation
          > of Koetsu's and really don't care for Benz carts.
          or
          > Shelter carts. for that matter.
          > I auditioned (at home)a Basis
          2001 with a Vector
          > tonearm and Koetsu Black cartridge and thought that
          is
          > was a bit unbalanced, although somewhat enjoyable to
          > listen
          to, just my opinion of course.

          <joe_yellowdog@...> wrote:

          ---------------------------------
          > What kinds of
          turntables/arms/cartridges are people
          > here happy
          > with?  I
          have two systems with turntables and the
          > recent discussion
          > here
          has made me contemplate a change to my system.  I
          > have many,
          > many LPs so going completely digital is not a path I
          > want to
          take.

          > In my office system I have Rega Planar 3 and Rega

          Exact MM
          > cartridge.  I bought this set-up used and paid
          very
          > little for it.
          > I know that there are lots of
          problems with the Rega
          > system
          > (including no clamp and ringing
          glass platter, etc),
          > but I got it
          > cheap.
          >
          > My
          main system contains more expensive gear:  a Basis
          > table and very
          > well reviewed Basis Vector arm (medium mass) with a
          > Benz Ruby
          (MC)
          > cartridge.  The platter is acrylic (no mat) with a

          clamp.  I have
          > been unhappy with this set-up for some time and
          have
          > blamed the
          > problems on the cartridge. I have been planning
          to buy
          > a new
          > cartridge, but have not gotten around to it. The
          more
          > I read on this
          > forum, though, the more I think the problem
          may be
          > more fundamental
          > than the cartridge.

          actually find that I prefer the Rega, which I know
          > is not accurate
          > at all, to the Basis/Benz.   Given this preference,

          and given the
          > preference here for low mass/high compliance MM, I
          am
          > thinking of
          > buying one of the Moerch arms (well reviewed by
          REG
          > and everyone
          > else) and a  compliant MM cart.
          >
          > One of the problems is that there are few such

          cartridges available
          > any more.  The Audio Technica AT150MLX (about
          $300
          > street price) is
          > really the only reasonably "high-end" one
          I can find
          > available, and
          > the few reviews of it have been
          mixed.  Other
          > candidates include the
          > Grado, Music Maker
          and Clearaudio wood body moving
          > magnets, but each
          > of these seem
          to have their issue too.

          > In any event, I have to buy without
          hearing first.
          > Since I
          > discovered this forum (and before it
          the HUG), I have
          > changed my
          > system (and audio attitude) based
          on advice of forum
          > members and, of
          > course, REG's point of view
          has been invaluable.  Not
          > only am I
          > extremely happy with
          my current system (which was
          > chosen by
          > slavishly following
          REG's preferences), but I have not
          > even
          > contemplated buying new
          gear (except now with
          > turntable/arm/cart)
          > for a long
          time.  For those of us who have limited
          > time available to

          following the audio world and little chance to hear
          > the equipment
          > that is out there, the opportunity to participate in a
          > forum
          like
          > this is remarkable (not that this is primarily a
          > consumer
          forum, the
          > more important broader discussion here has generally

          helped me
          > appreciate audio in a much richer way).
          >
          > So,
          I hope that maybe someone here has some experience
          > with

          currently available arm/table/cartridge combinations
          > that make sense
          > (and good music).  If not, maybe I will just move the
          > Rega
          into the
          > listening room and live with inaccurate, unclamped but

          lively,
          > music -- or record and sell the LP's -- but what would

          I use as a
          > source to record them?  Joe

          > Electronics
          hobby