Re: Listening to Mahler through New Speakers

    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 2, 2006
      Yes! Nice thoughts.
      Incidentally, the large orchestra is not an easy thing to produce at
      home,even when it is actually accurately recorded. If one can get to
      a concert performance, it will give a benchmark, and an insight into
      the music,too.

      REG

      --- In regsaudioforum@yahoogroups.com, "mastedward" <nedmast2@...>
      wrote:

      > There has been some discussion on this forum of the WL Mahler 5th
      > recording, which I think is revelatory. This past week I've been
      > listening to the symphonies 1 through 6; marveling at them, and
      > puzzling over the prevailing indifferent - if not negative - view
      of
      > him as expressed by many audiophiles. First, I would have to say
      > right off the bat that I didn't really enjoy his music as much
      until
      > I got speakers that truly convey the glories of his orchestration;
      > believe now that he is the finest orchestrator in the classical-
      > romantic tradition. So, I'm just encouraging those who haven't
      > spent much time with his symphonies, to give them another try.
      And
      > don't be reluctant to listen to him if you don't have the
      > uninterrupted hour or more necessary to hear the complete work.
      > Best, of course to hear the whole work at one sitting, but I've
      > gotten satisfaction by listening to a part and returning later
      that
      > day - or the next - to hear the rest. One of the qualities I find
      > most stunning about his work is the manner in which he uses a very
      > large orchestra and then creates mini-orchestras within it, and -
      on
      > the other hand - how he is able to have the full orchestra (brass,
      > strings, woodwinds and even percusssion) playing together yet at a
      > very low volume level. The richness of his quieter passages
      seems -
      > to me - to be unique. A book that I have found helpful, by the
      way,
      > is one in the Unlocking the Master series titled "The Mahler
      > Symphonies: An Owner's Manual", by David Hurwitz.
      >
      > I'm looking forward to listenng to 7 throught 9 this week, and
      then
      > returning to each as the mood strikes me. It just seems to me
      that
      > for anyone who loves the orchestral tradition, Mahler stands at
      the
      > summit of the genre (and, of course, the voice plays an important
      > part in several of his works). And the big point in relation to
      > this forum: if not heard live, I think one really needs to listen
      > him on a system that is capable of fine resolution. (I believe
      Peter

    • nedmast2@aol.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 2, 2006
        The 8th is the only one I don't have and I'm looking to pick it up this week.  Sonically, I agree with REG - Inbal on Denon's Mahlers are well recorded; minimal mic-ing, though perhaps more than two.  Christopher Abbot in the Jan/ Feb Fanfare gives Kent Nagano's recording of the 8th on Harmonia Mundi a good review.  (It's a 2 hybrid multichannel SACD recording).

        I think I'll look for a recording of Deryck Cooke's performing version of Mahler's last (10th) symphony also.  Mr. Abbot likes the recording by Michael Gielen with the Southwest German RSO on HANSSLER.

        Oh, one thing I didn't mention in my initial Mahler post was that I had the opportunity about two years ago to hear Gilbert Kaplan lead the Univiersity of Miami orchestra and civic chorale & soloists in a performance of the 2nd.  This was in too small a hall - seating only 600 ( the stage had to be extended out to the first row of seats). But wow!  Mahler live is an experience indeed!
      • Hiroyuki Hamada
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 2, 2006
          REG and Ned,

          Thank you for the suggestions.  I will look into those.

          REG, I got  the Lonely girl CD (Julie London).  It's very nice.  As long as you are in the mood for it, it's very beautiful and soothing.

          Hiroyuki
          On Apr 2, 2006, at 2:50 PM, nedmast2@... wrote:

[...]

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        • amadeuswus
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 3, 2006
            Hi,

            The Inbal/Denon Mahler 9 is one of the better sounding early cds I
            bought. The notes might have mentioned the use of digital time delay
            to synchronize the accent mikes with the main ones. Whatever the
            technique, it was sensitively used.

            Edward

            --- In regsaudioforum@yahoogroups.com, nedmast2@... wrote:

            > Sonically, I agree with REG - Inbal on Denon's Mahlers are well
            recorded;
            > minimal mic-ing, though perhaps more than two.
          • Richard Tuck
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 3, 2006
              Hi Edward

              Sounds a bit like the DGG 4D approach which had DACs close to each mic and then used digital delays to reference all to one ideal mic position.

              The main problem is they seemed to think the ideal balance was to put you on the conductor's rostrum and then park the soloist on your lap.

              A case of nice timing shame about the balance.

              BTW I'm talking about the DGG recording not the Denon.

              Richard

              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 3, 2006
                There is a box set available for Inbal's Mahler with all the
                symphonies and etc. I will go for that. Thank you for the info.

                Hiroyuki
                On Apr 3, 2006, at 1:57 PM, amadeuswus wrote:

                > Hi,
                >
                > The Inbal/Denon Mahler 9 is one of the better sounding early cds I
                > bought. The notes might have mentioned the use of digital time delay
                > to synchronize the accent mikes with the main ones. Whatever the
                > technique, it was sensitively used.
                >
                > Edward
                >
                > --- In regsaudioforum@yahoogroups.com, nedmast2@... wrote:
                >>
                >> Sonically, I agree with REG - Inbal on Denon's Mahlers are well
                > recorded;
                >> minimal mic-ing, though perhaps more than two.
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • amadeuswus
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 3, 2006
                  Hi Hiroyuki,

                  I admire your openness to exploring this music. The Gramophone Good CD
                  Guide says of this Mahler set: "Denon's fine engineering, the Alte
                  Oper's welcoming acoustic and Inbal's headstrong interpretations are an
                  even more tempting proposition at [Brilliant's] super-budget price."

                  Edward

                  --- In regsaudioforum@yahoogroups.com, Hiroyuki Hamada <hhamada@...>

                • nedmast2@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 3, 2006
                    Hi Richard -

                    If I may chime in regarding your response to Edward; I have just been listening to Mahler's 6th both on 4D DG and  Denon.  I wasn't aware of the technology behind the 4D, but you're absolutely right - the orchestra is right in your face - unpleasantly so, in my opinion.  The Denon is a much more natural presentation.

                    Ned
                  • Hiroyuki Hamada
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 3, 2006
                      Edward,

                      Thank you for the extra info. Fortunately, with Mahler's
                      symphonies, I don't really have to push myself to be open. Not all
                      of them do the trick for me, but so far 2, 5, 6 and 9 sound very
                      special (I mean, aren't they just so cool and beautiful?) to me. I
                      haven't heard of 7 and 10 so looking forward to hearing them in the set.

                      Hiroyuki