Monopole bass and dipole bass

  • ymm
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 1, 2006
      Hi Tom,

      Which sound more like the concert hall bass to you now - monople bass or dipole bass,now that you have heard dipole bass down to the 20 + Hz?

      Curious,
      Yip

      Do you Yahoo!?
      Yahoo! Movies - Search movie info and celeb profiles and photos.

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 1, 2006

          Yet another dipole speaker, maybe dipoles are the new black!

          Headlines from the HiFi Choice review:

          * Deep bass and expansive imaging.
          * Easy on the ear.
          * Not as sharp and analytical as some.
          * May be too fruity for some tastes ----not come across this analogy before.

          Richard
        • ymm
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 1, 2006
            Remember you once said that you had always prefer monopole bass to dipole bass ; that's why I popped you that question.

            Tom Mallin <tmallin@...> wrote:
            The Orion, without question, hands down and with a bullet and a rosette.

            >>> yipmangmeng@... 04/01/06 02:40AM >>>

            Hi Tom,

            Which sound more like the concert hall bass to you now - monople bass or dipole bass,now that you have heard dipole bass down to the 20 + Hz?

            Curious,
            Yip

            Do you Yahoo!?
            Yahoo! Movies - Search movie info and celeb profiles and photos.

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

            Visit your group "regsaudioforum" on the web.

            Do you Yahoo!?
            New and Improved Yahoo! Mail - 1GB free storage!

          • ymm
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 2, 2006
              REG,

              Do you have the same impression as Tom  has of the Orion bass , regarding the bass of the active Gradient Revolution compared to the M40 bass?
              I note that the active  Gradient Revolution is rated at -2db at 20 Hz whereas the Orion is only at -6 db at 20 Hz.

              Yip

              Tom Mallin <tmallin@...> wrote:
              The Orion, without question, hands down and with a bullet and a rosette.

              >>> yipmangmeng@... 04/01/06 02:40AM >>>

              Hi Tom,

              Which sound more like the concert hall bass to you now - monople bass or dipole bass,now that you have heard dipole bass down to the 20 + Hz?

              Curious,
              Yip

              Do you Yahoo!?
              Yahoo! Movies - Search movie info and celeb profiles and photos.

              YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

              Visit your group "regsaudioforum" on the web.

              Meet your soulmate!
              Yahoo! Asia presents Meetic - where millions of singles gather

                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 2, 2006
                  Yes, I remember that, too.  I had never heard dipole bass that blended the punch of monopoles with the detail and lack of boom of dipole bass, with 20 Hz extension as well.  As I said, the Orion bass is unique in my experience.  The Carver Amazings and Whispers had plenty of measured extension, but they never sounded like it and also lacked punch.  The Orions sound like they go deeper than anything else I've heard and have great power and punch on drums and room shudder on organ pipes, while keeping everything in the bass range vert clear and differentiated.

                  >>> yipmangmeng@... 04/02/06
                  12:23AM >>>

                  Tom Mallin <tmallin@...> wrote:
                  The Orion, without question, hands down and with a bullet and a rosette.

                  >>> yipmangmeng@... 04/01/06 02:40AM >>>

                  Hi Tom,

                  Which sound more like the concert hall bass to you now - monople bass or dipole bass,now that you have heard dipole bass down to the 20 + Hz?

                  Curious,
                  Yip

                  Do you Yahoo!?
                  Yahoo! Movies - Search movie info and celeb profiles and photos.

                  YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                  Visit your group "regsaudioforum" on the web.

                  Do you Yahoo!?
                  New and Improved Yahoo! Mail - 1GB free storage!

                • Eric Weitzman
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 2, 2006
                    Just a short reply about the Orion's bass, and my first post on this forum.

                    Six audiophilia-nervosa inflicted friends and I visited Siegfried Linkwitz two years ago to listen to the Orions. During the following week, we were still struggling to describe the bass, until one bright fellow simply wrote, "The bass sounds like what you'd hear in Davies Hall [in San Francisco]." They have the most realistically reproduced bass that any of us have heard. The only drawback is that you can't get 100dB SPL at 20Hz out of them due to one of SL's design criteria: a living-room friendly size. If you listen to music where this is important you'll need a sub. I believe someone mentioned the Reference Recording of Rutter's Requiem: the Sanctus (IIRC) can benefit from higher SPL bass.

                    I have built a set of Orions and welcome visitors to listen to them. My room's RT60 (350-500ms) is about 100ms less than Siegfried's room and I prefer the sound of my system.

                    - Eric