Re: [regsaudioforum] inconsistent

  • ymm
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 31, 2006
      "I hope to see someone compare the Orion sound indoors and outoors and let us know if there are any significant audible difference. Is that mentione din SL's website".- Yip

      That's all  I hope to know.  I did not give Tom a command.
      As for room/speaker interaction,it's done to death in HUG,UHUG and regonaudio. I suggest reading the articles put up by REG on the website.

      Yip

      p/s I think REG was commenting on the design rather than the specific product. Now, I am really interested to know whether the Orion or the M40  reproduce voices, violin and guitar more accurately.

      jhm731 <jhm731@...> wrote:
      "Please do not ask me here for public opinions on specific products,
      however: this would be kind of inconsistent with my being a TAS
      equipment reviewer! "

      But, it's ok for you to offer opinions on the Orion's design and
      performance, which you've never heard?

      I seem to remember HP once pointing out:

      "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." -Ralph
      Waldo Emerson

      Those interested in room acoustics/imaging should read the TAS
      roundtable in issue #150, where Mr.Noxon, P.E., discusses "head-end
      ringing"  verses the "fantastic differences" of damping first
      reflections.

      Joe

      PS- I admire TM's patience with REG and Yip's requests to hump
      the his Orions to the great outdoors. I really don't care if the
      Orions are better than the H40s, but I do appreciate TM sharing his
      explorations into speaker/room interfaces.

      Do you Yahoo!?
      Yahoo! Movies - Search movie info and celeb profiles and photos.

      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 1, 2006
        I have consistently said that I have not heard the Orion. I have
        been commenting on the theory expressed on the website, the remarks
        there on room acoustics, the whole phenomenon as an audio fad(which
        it seems to be, whether on good grounds or not), the observations of
        others, and so on. Do I have to agree with such things up until I
        hear the speaker?

        Once and for all:
        I have not heard the speaker. For all I know it sounds like angels
        in heaven.

        I am also not going to say one more word about it until I have heard
        it-- and probably not then, unless I end up doing a review of it.

        But if you read carefully, I never did say any words about it as
        such--only observations on the theory of point source dipoles etc--
        which is after all what this forum is about!!!

        When it comes to that, I have not said anything about say the
        Gradient Revolution, either, beyond what I said in TAS and
        associated measurements--except on a theory basis.

        Most people find pure theory a bit hard to take--they would rather
        see the theory attached to a product. But I took it for obvious that
        only theory was being discussed since I said up front and repeatedly
        that I had not heard the speaker!!! nor done any measurement on it
        of my own nor had any direct contact with it whatever.

        I am not reviewing the speaker!! sound unheard. Give me a break.

        Please be assured that I know nothing whatever, pro or con, about
        how the Orions sound. "All I know is what I read in the papers"--or
        in this case, the website and other people remarks.

        REG

        PS If someone loves the sound they are hearing, why should they
        worry about objections in theory--or good things in theory? People
        should have a little self-confidence. If you do not think Freja is a
        pretty dog, I won't be offended. I might wonder why not but I would
        not be offended. Even less would I be offended if you doubted she
        was not a pretty dog on theoretical grounds without having seen her!!

        What would make a lot of sense to me in this theory discussion would
        be if people(eg TM) who are in position to do so would look into
        what the speaker was doing in their room in measured terms so we
        could all understand why it sounds so good, as apparently it does to
        everyone who has heard it!!!
        --- In regsaudioforum@yahoogroups.com, "jhm731" <jhm731@...> wrote:

        > "Please do not ask me here for public opinions on specific
        products,
        > however: this would be kind of inconsistent with my being a TAS
        > equipment reviewer! "
        >
        > But, it's ok for you to offer opinions on the Orion's design and
        > performance, which you've never heard?
        >
        > I seem to remember HP once pointing out:
        >
        > "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." -Ralph
        > Waldo Emerson
        >
        > Those interested in room acoustics/imaging should read the TAS
        > roundtable in issue #150, where Mr.Noxon, P.E., discusses "head-
        end
        > ringing" verses the "fantastic differences" of damping first
        > reflections.
        >
        > Joe
        >
        > PS- I admire TM's patience with REG and Yip's requests to hump
        > the his Orions to the great outdoors. I really don't care if the
        > Orions are better than the H40s, but I do appreciate TM sharing
        his
        > explorations into speaker/room interfaces.

      • Neal Van Berg
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 1, 2006
          If you can fit an angel on the head of pin, possibly more. Surely they would be an ideal point sources, since their size would be less than a quarter wavelength at 20Khz.

          Presumably though heaven is a vacuum since no one there has a physical body, breath is not essential.

          Clearly then, Angels singing in heaven is the same as the sound of one hand clapping regardless of location.

          I love this forum.

          Neal

          Regards,

          Neal Van Berg
          Sound Science Custom Audio & Theatre
          1767 Rose Petal Ln
          Castle Rock Co. 80109
          Phone 720 308 4000

        • jhm731

            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 1, 2006
              Thank you! Freja was only an example.

              Incidentally, I would be absolutely ready and willing to admit that
              there is a lot to life with speakers besides the theory, maybe even
              contrary to some of the general theory(I keep hoping to explain
              everything but it is a long pull). For example, I (as everyone knows)
              really like the Harbeth M40s--but at first glance there is nothing
              particularly distinctive about them in room-acoustic theory. Just
              another three-way box--except for the drivers and the crossover!

              Somehow we got off on the theory of and about(from the website) the
              Orion--but in no way did I want to suggest that it was anything but a
              really good example of what it is an example of and I can see that it
              may well sound wonderful. I freely admit getting off on my theory
              riffs in a big way. (Paige's eyes sometimes glaze over when I get
              going on such things--and she is a mathematician herself!).

              In the real world, it is in the end the execution that counts a great
              deal --and about that, I could not/cannot yet really comment, except
              to reiterate my respect for Linkwitz.

              So listen in peace, all Orion owners. I look forward to hearing the
              speakers with open mind(and ears), thanks to kind offers from various
              owners.

              REG

              PS Freja is vastly affectionate with Paige and me. With strangers--it
              varies. She seems to like speaker designers. She really warmed up to
              Mark Gilmore right away, and she really really likes Jorma Salmi. (She
              has not met Alan Shaw).

              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 2, 2006
                But are not the angels supposed to sing hymns of praise?
                And they also sound trumpets--or maybe that is only when they come
                down to earth("The trumpet shall sound and the dead shall be
                raised".) (Even though I am not relgious, I really like those words
                and images)

                REG

                --- In regsaudioforum@yahoogroups.com, Neal Van Berg <nealvb@...>
                wrote:

> [...]
                > > equipment reviewer! "
                > >
                > > But, it's ok for you to offer opinions on the Orion's design and
                > > performance, which you've never heard?
                > >
                > > I seem to remember HP once pointing out:
                > >
                > > "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." -Ralph
                > > Waldo Emerson
                > >
                > > Those interested in room acoustics/imaging should read the TAS
                > > roundtable in issue #150, where Mr.Noxon, P.E., discusses "head-
                > end
                > > ringing" verses the "fantastic differences" of damping first
                > > reflections.
                > >
                > > Joe
                > >
                > > PS- I admire TM's patience with REG and Yip's requests to hump
                > > the his Orions to the great outdoors. I really don't care if the
                > > Orions are better than the H40s, but I do appreciate TM sharing
                > his
                > > explorations into speaker/room interfaces.

                Service.

                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 2, 2006
                  Assuming this is not just joking or sarcasm, the problem is that we are confusing medieval abstract philosophical debate (how many angels could stand on the point of a needle) with Biblical textual references to things angels do (singing, blowing trumpets).  There are no references to angels standing on pins or needles in the Bible.

                  >>> regonaudio@...
                  04/02/06 01:08PM >>>

                  wrote:

                  > If you can fit an angel on the
                  head of pin, possibly more. Surely
                  they would be an ideal point sources, since their size would be less
                  than a quarter wavelength at 20Khz.

                  >   Presumably though heaven
                  is a vacuum since no one there has a
                  physical body, breath is not essential.

                  >   Clearly then,
                  Angels singing in heaven is the same as the sound
                  of one hand clapping regardless of location.

                  >   I love
                  this forum.

                  Neal

                  wrote:
> [...]
                  > > equipment reviewer! "
                  > >
                  > > But, it's ok for you to offer opinions on the Orion's design and
                  > > performance, which you've never heard?
                  > >
                  > > I seem to
                  remember HP once pointing out:

                  > > "A foolish consistency
                  is the hobgoblin of little minds." -Ralph
                  > > Waldo Emerson
                  > >
                  > > Those interested in room acoustics/imaging should
                  read the TAS
                  > > roundtable in issue #150, where Mr.Noxon, P.E.,
                  discusses "head-
                  > end
                  > > ringing"  verses the "fantastic
                  differences" of damping first
                  > > reflections.
                  > >
                  > > Joe
                  > >
                  > > PS- I admire TM's patience with REG and
                  Yip's requests to hump
                  > > the his Orions to the great outdoors. I
                  really don't care if the
                  > > Orions are better than the H40s, but I do

                  to:

                  Yahoo! Terms of
                  Service.

                  ---------------------------------

                  >       Regards,

                  Neal Van Berg
                  > Sound Science Custom Audio &
                  Theatre
                  >   1767 Rose Petal Ln
                  >   Castle Rock
                  Co. 80109

                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 2, 2006
                    I think you can safely assume when non believers are talking about angels it is exclusively humor or sarcasm.

                    Think about it this way, religion is like Bose 901s.
                    Dr. Bose meausred that 8/9ths of the sound arriving at the audience was reflected sound.  So he built speakers that have one speaker pointing at you and 8 pointing at the back wall.

                    He completely ignored the way music gets recorded.

                    He then sold more speakers than nearly any one else, the majority really take to wrong ideas.

                    Neal