Choosing speakers

    Message 1 of 34 , Jun 8, 2014

       Nowadays there are a lot of speakers that do not cost a whole lot and do well technically the PSB T2 being a conspicuous example but far from the only one. Even a pair of subwoofered PSB Alpha B1, total cost around $1500(for the B1 plus dedicated PSB subs) do really well--also in listening terms actually.

      So when one is looking for speakers that are say above $5000 a pair, one ought to get not just something technically convincing but something that pushes your personal buttons. If you just want technically accurate sound as such, no need to spend so much. One needs the nameless graces that no methods teach to justify bigger money.

      The trouble is that the only way to find out what pushes one's own buttons is to listen for yourself!

      Lots of people here are BBC heritage buttons-pushed people. But that is not the only kind of person there is! I can imagine that, for example,  there are lots of people in the world who, if they listen to Davic J;s speakers , will find their buttons pushed indeed(myself included as you saw in my review).

      You have to go listen! No one else can do this for you. I and others can warn you if a speaker has screwy frequency response and so on. But among ones that are ok on the basics, the choice becomes personal. Sorry but others can only suggest. You have to listen for yourself to be sure.

      Good luck!

      Message 34 of 34 , Jun 11, 2014

        To a surprising extent one can make two different speakers sound alike, if they have roughly similar radiation patterns., I have already commented how one could make a Harbeth M40.1 sound like an M40. I also experimented with making the PSB Alpha B1s sound like the PSB T6s.  Namely I EQed the PSB Alpha B1 to look like the T2 on pink noise. On violin solo, they then sound almost identical--whereas without EQ they definitely did not. Of course, there was no making them match way down since the T6s have bass and the Alpha B1s have little.

        People do not like to believe this, and of course it is true that the PSB s are made with similar design ideas. But it works to a remarkable extent. Not all the way--cf my remarks on wide baffles and on out of band driver behavior. But if you have not tried it you would be surprised by how close one can come, especially if one is listening at close range. Not surprising in view of the Gradient experiment perhaps, but surprising to people who do not know about it. (Incidentally I did this PSB experiment with a one thrid octave slider EQ--that was good enough for an almost perfect match)