Aerial 7T

  • mike44402903
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 8, 2014
      Might I interrupt this session of the Harbeth Owner's Group to ask if anyone has listened to the Aerial 7T?  This (along with the M30.1 and Spendor D7) is on my current shortlist. I'll be listening this week -- a past session was a dud, due to street construction and barking dogs outside the dealership.

      I *really* liked the Aerial 10T when it was introduced in the early 1990s.

      Mike
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 8, 2014
        I had a look at the measurements in Sterephile. They look pretty nice in fact very nice except for the little bump at 3k --that coud be eqed out easily enough. They are nice and smooth in their off axis behavior. The bass looks a little lacking in warnth(once one factors in the measurements technique) Atkinson remarks on this. But overall it looks pretty convincing. One would--if one were I--probably want to warm up the bass a bit and pull down the 3k bump. This is a frequency where one wants a dip(cf Linkwitz) if anything and surely not a bump. Fixable but it would need fixing.

        My recollection of Aerial speakers is so long back that it might not be worth much. But for the record they seemed to me not quite so integrated as I might have liked. Something to listen for, anyway. Of course one should listen for this with any speakers--for a start, it is something important that one cannot see very well on measurements of the usual sort.

        I think these Aerial speakers are respectable enough and then some.On the other hand they are expensive in a sense--close to $10,000 I think, For this price, one could buy PSB T2\s\ for example--which are similar in general style of design and which are smoother I think(Ignore Sphiles lump at 10k look at this

        http://www.soundstagenetwork.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=754:nrc-measurements-psb-imagine-t2-loudspeakers&catid=77:loudspeaker-measurements

        This is not to mention that one could buy a pair of Stirling Broadcast LS3/6s plus a pair of subs for the price.

        As always one has to listen for one's self. But I cannot help thinking about the competition

        I would listen hard to various other possibilites given that at this price there are a lot of them.

        Including electrostatics of one sort and another and so on.

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 8, 2014
          Ah, yes, the Aerial 10T.  That was one of my favorite speakers I never owned from that era.  The other was the Alon IV.  Wonderfully full, extended and warm bass, clean and focused above that, with great staging.  There was nothing not to like about either.  Note the downsloping response trend of both from bass to treble in the Stereophile reviews.

          I did not care for later speakers that I heard from either company nearly as much.  The Aerial bass got "tighter," and the highs more prominent.   But, no, I have not heard the 7T.

          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 8, 2014

            I would urge people rather strongly NOT to judge speakers on aspects that are easily altered by EQ. Overall balance is very important--but it is also very easy to alter.

            What one ought to look for in a speaker is coherence, which cannot be induced by EQ generally, smooth driver behavior. and absence of coloration of a type one cannot EQ away. Of course it is nice to find a speaker that combines this with a balance one might like.

            For example what is really good about the SB LS3/6 is not just its balance--which is inded very nice--but the fact that is bass/mid driver rolls out with no garbage anywhere near the pass band(and indeed no garbage at all) and that its tweeter is well behaved and that the drivers are very well integrated.

            Other things--making a speaker slope down from bottom to top say--are easily induced. The things I am talking about are not.

            Garbage just out of band in a mid driver is not fixable, Neither is a roughly behaved tweeter.

            Smoothness and coherence--if you have those, the rest is mostly a matter of EQ.

            The trouble is that sometimes it is not so easy to find out what you do have.

            But beware of looking for a certain EQ--because EQ is easy to fix. It is ironic--the most important feature of all, overall balance is one that is very easy to alter. This is why one has to audition very carefully-and ideally with an EQ in hand. The real question is how good can you make it sound with a little broadband EQ.

            Just a thought...