bass levels

    Message 1 of 2 , May 26, 2014

       Several things conspire to make recordings as played back bass shy.

      Orchestral music up close is loud. THis makes the bass perceived as

      more prominent. Since equiloudness curves are twice as close together

      in the bass as in the mids, five dB louder great volume  is heard as five dB raised

      in the bass.

      As one back up, the music live is less loud--but it has lots more reverb and reverb

      is bass heavy(in correctly designed concert halls).

      How to get not enough bass:

      Record close up and play back at domestic volumes.

      How to fix the problem: Turn the bass up. From 200 Hz on down, the level should be

      up (rule of thumb) 2-3 dB and more as one goes down.

      The Toole school says that there should be aa 10 dB droop in power response

      from 20 Hz to the high treble. Ten dB is a LOT.

      Turn the bass up. Smooth it out first--and then turn it up.

      This one thing will go further towards maaking your home music

      sound like concert music than all the playing about with

      cables and amps and DACs combined(comparing apples to

      oranges of course but still, the point remains).

      REG

    • Peter