Berliner Philharmoniker Recordings

  • musica_pt
    Message 1 of 11 , May 23, 2014

      I've just received an email anouncing the luanch of Berliner Philharmoniker's new record label.

      I'm curious as to what these recordings will sound like...

      Cheers,

      Ricardo

      Launch of our new label

      When the Berliner Philharmoniker announced a few weeks ago they were to launch their own label, the response was enormous, and now, the first recording is available: the complete symphonies of Robert Schumann, conducted by chief conductor Sir Simon Rattle.
      In addition to a double CD, the lavishly designed edition also includes high-resolution video and audio on Blu-ray Disc.

      Startseite - Berliner Philharmoniker Recordings

    • Peter

        Message 3 of 11 , May 23, 2014

          Hi Ricardo

          Thanks for sharing this BPO news.  The photos on the Schumann webpage show several women near the front desks of the string section.  The numbers are probably rising over time.  But what's with the Kalmus edition of the Schumann 4th score on the music director's stand?!!

          Edward

        • musica_pt
          Message 4 of 11 , May 23, 2014
            If the sound of the video is anything to judge by, the recording apears quite pleasently warm on my headphones.
            And I see no spot mics.

            On CD & Blu-ray: Simon Rattle conducts Schumann's Symphonies Nos. 1-4 INT

            Cheers,
            Ricardo
          • Edward Mast
            Message 5 of 11 , May 23, 2014
              I wonder if these will become available on amazon at some point. Ordering directly from the Berlin Phil, the price is about $66 without shipping (don't know if that's included or not).
              But these may be the Schumann Symphonies set to get; Simon Rattle's explanation of the orchestration made sense to me.
              Ned
            • listentwice2002
              Message 6 of 11 , May 24, 2014
                Proudly the Berlin Phil present their independence from record companies that allows freedom in all respects.
                If one considers Amazones dealers margin near 50% selling downloads this means a severe limitation.
                Berlin Phil receive 44,10 Euro from averaged ticket, and 186,10 Euro (2009) subventions on each ticket..
                http://www.tagesspiegel.de/berlin/subventionen-staatsoper-teure-kultur/1810036.html
                It appears consequent to me that the Berlin Phil dont partner a company that avoids to pay taxes in the country where profit is generated, Amazon is well known for "exporting" profit to low-tax countries, tax oasis, fiscal paradise or whatever you call it. Last yaer there were many press and TV reports about poor working conditions at Amazon Germany that were obviously close to modern slavery. Amazon hired people from far countries, brought them with busses, barracked to work on demand, their carts controlled with movement sensors to detect working pauses of the "pickers", the "packers" got tough targets of parcels to be packed per hour etc.
                No one would expect the Berlin Phil to play the Chopin Minute Waltz in 35 seconds...

                Germany and its social market economy feed the Berlin Phil, Amazon is just the opposite, reason enough to avoid it.
                br HM
              • listentwice2002
                Message 7 of 11 , May 24, 2014
                  Few days later news reported that Daniel Barenboim has founded his own label too, Peral Music. He cooperates with Universal and there will be CDs available, more than only downloads. Bruckner Symphonies 1-3 are the first releases.
                  Barenboim has some educational intention too behind his label, e.g. show young musicians how the music has to be played correctly (with some special recordings).
                  http://www.danielbarenboim.com/recordings/recording-detail.html?tx_wfqbe_pi1[uid]=104

                   br HM

                  .

                • Edward Mast
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 24, 2014
                    Thanks, HM, for that brief tutorial on the workings of Amazon, the details of which I didn't know. I'll go ahead and purchase directly from the Berlin Phil. (Actually, when I go to Amazon to search for CDs, I end up buying used copies from individual sellers, not from Amazon itself).
                    Ned
                  • tonycdk
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 24, 2014
                      A shame that one has to buy the complete package and not just the Blue-ray.

                      Tony
                    • Peter
                      Message 10 of 11 , May 24, 2014
                        You don't need a Blu-ray player to play the rest of the package.  Adds a great deal of portability. . .

                        Message 11 of 11 , May 24, 2014
                          Yes, or just the CD.
                          Ned