Re: Professional amps for home use

  • yipmangmeng
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 7, 2005
      Aren't other pro amps good enough for high end use at home,like the
      Crowm amps? If they are just as good, why pay more for exotic high
      end amps?

      --- In regsaudioforum@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Mallin" <tmallin@p...>
      wrote:
      > Some companies, like Bryston, have significant sales in both
      markets.

      > Isn't it be wiser and cheaper on the pocket to buy professional
      > amplifiers instead of high end amplifiers for home use? Any
      reasons why

      > not?

      Service.
    • yipmangmeng
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 7, 2005
        Are the pro and domestic models identical in sound?

        wrote:
        > Some companies, like Bryston, have significant sales in both
        markets.

        > Isn't it be wiser and cheaper on the pocket to buy professional
        > amplifiers instead of high end amplifiers for home use? Any
        reasons why

        > not?

        Service.
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 7, 2005
          One negative thing about pro amps, Yip. Many, like the current Crowns,
          are meant to fit in rack mounts in close proximity to other equipment.
          Many have fans which operate constantly since they may be designed to
          fit in only one or two vertical rack mount spaces. These fans can
          easily be audibly distracting in home use. Some part of the premium
          price you pay for audiophile amps is the greater heat sinking and
          chassis size necessary to alllow high power without fans.

          One positive thing about pro amps is that most have volume controls
          built in. This allows maximizing the sound to noise ratio of the entire
          system by allowing you to properly tailor the gain structure of the
          system. To maximize sound to noise from the speakers, analysis shows
          that maximum gain should occur in the front end, with the amplifier gain
          only so high as to allow the amp to feed the speakers at the highest
          level ever required with the front end volume controls maxed out.

          With digital sources and relatively few elements in the system chain,
          the positive is usually outweighed by the negative, since the mechanical
          fan noise will negate the possible gain in electrical sound to noise.

          >>> yipmangmeng@... 06/07/05 11:07AM >>>

          wrote:
          > Some companies, like Bryston, have significant sales in both
          markets.

          > Isn't it be wiser and cheaper on the pocket to buy professional
          > amplifiers instead of high end amplifiers for home use? Any
          reasons why

          > not?

          Service.

          Yahoo! Groups Links
          To visit your group on the web, go to:
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 7, 2005
            I don't really know. With Bryston, I thought only the front panels were
            different.

            >>> yipmangmeng@... 06/07/05 11:08AM >>>