Re: squeezebox

  • neuromudfud
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 1, 2006
      Thanks for the info george and "RU 9"

      I guess I'll save up some change for the sb3 and a server (my poor
      little mac laptop doesn't have the space on its hard drive)...

      Chris Min

      --- In regsaudioforum@yahoogroups.com, george day <george@h...> wrote:

      > Short answer:
      >
      > Use the current device and software and use lossless files ‹ you¹ll
      be fine.

      > On 1/31/06 7:39 PM, "RU 9" <nscb09@g...> wrote:
      >
      > > See:
      > >
      > > http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=20640&highlight=gapless

      <http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=20640&highlight=gapless>
      > > http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=19807&highlight=gapless

      <http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=19807&highlight=gapless>

      > > On 2/1/06, neuromudfud <min@p...> wrote:
      > >> Hi all,
      > >>
      > >> I have noted with interest the discussions about the squeezebox as an
      > >> alternative player to using CDs, etc. One thing I was wondering about
      > >> was whether the squeezebox has problems with music that is continuous
      > >> on the CD but on separate tracks. For example, the Goldberg
      Variations
      > >> with Glenn Gould. On an Apple ipod, there is an annoying pause
      between
      > >> each track (I know that one workaround is to set up an option where
      > >> the entire CD is a single mp3, but I haven't gotten around to it
      yet).

      > >> In any case my question is how the squeezebox handles these issues
      > >> with lossless formats, Flac or Apple's. Can one rip a CD like this
      > >> with multiple tracks and play it back without any introduced pauses?
      > >>
      > >> Thanks,
      > >> Chris Min
      > >>

      > >> Yahoo! Groups Links

      > > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
      > >
      > > * Visit your group "regsaudioforum
      > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/regsaudioforum> " on the web.
      > > *

      > > *

    • george day
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 1, 2006
        Re: [regsaudioforum] Re: squeezebox Chris,

        The software doesn’t take up a lot of space. I use an iMac G5 but have all my music on an external hard drive.  Cheap and easy.  I can talk you through redirecting iTunes and Slimserver, etc., to the new location, off-list.

        <http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=20640&amp;highlight=gapless>

        <http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=19807&amp;highlight=gapless>

        > > On 2/1/06, neuromudfud <min@p...> wrote:
        > >> Hi all,
        > >>
        > >> I have noted with interest the discussions about the squeezebox as an
        > >> alternative player to using CDs, etc. One thing I was wondering about
        > >> was whether the squeezebox has problems with music that is continuous
        > >> on the CD but on separate tracks. For example, the Goldberg
        Variations
        > >> with Glenn Gould. On an Apple ipod, there is an annoying pause
        between
        > >> each track (I know that one workaround is to set up an option where
        > >> the entire CD is a single mp3, but I haven't gotten around to it
        yet).

        > >> In any case my question is how the squeezebox handles these issues
        > >> with lossless formats, Flac or Apple's. Can one rip a CD like this
        > >> with multiple tracks and play it back without any introduced pauses?
        > >>
        > >> Thanks,
        > >> Chris Min
        > >>

        > >> Yahoo! Groups Links

        > >  YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
        > >
        > > *  Visit your group "regsaudioforum
        > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/regsaudioforum> " on the web.
        > > *
        > > *  To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

        > > *
        > > *  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service

        Electronics <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Electronics&w1=Electronics&w2=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w3=Craft+hobby&w4=Hobbies+and+crafts&w5=Electronics+hobby&w6=Hobby+electronics&c=6&s=132&.sig=MmqJPH5dl3VfdKLNnW_W7g>   Hobby and craft supply <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w1=Electronics&w2=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w3=Craft+hobby&w4=Hobbies+and+crafts&w5=Electronics+hobby&w6=Hobby+electronics&c=6&s=132&.sig=snO79aSWw5JJ-O1xP727MQ>   Craft hobby <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Craft+hobby&w1=Electronics&w2=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w3=Craft+hobby&w4=Hobbies+and+crafts&w5=Electronics+hobby&w6=Hobby+electronics&c=6&s=132&.sig=f06vn3LQXx9Rnb3eTT0RZg>

        Hobbies and crafts <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Hobbies+and+crafts&w1=Electronics&w2=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w3=Craft+hobby&w4=Hobbies+and+crafts&w5=Electronics+hobby&w6=Hobby+electronics&c=6&s=132&.sig=L-EyFvGq2luCEDqv5nqLYw>   Electronics hobby <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Electronics+hobby&w1=Electronics&w2=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w3=Craft+hobby&w4=Hobbies+and+crafts&w5=Electronics+hobby&w6=Hobby+electronics&c=6&s=132&.sig=YplTvxi2PeLLp_w7yWZ5bQ>   Hobby electronics <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Hobby+electronics&w1=Electronics&w2=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w3=Craft+hobby&w4=Hobbies+and+crafts&w5=Electronics+hobby&w6=Hobby+electronics&c=6&s=132&.sig=itS8Y3fBVyr9ekjd6wWnRg>

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      • Neal Van Berg
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 3, 2006
          Chris,

          I just got a very quiet 250 Gig USB HD at Sams for $129.

          Neal

          neuromudfud <min@...> wrote:
          Thanks for the info george and "RU 9"

          I guess I'll save up some change for the sb3 and a server (my poor
          little mac laptop doesn't have the space on its hard drive)...

          Chris Min

          --- In regsaudioforum@yahoogroups.com, george day <george@h...> wrote:

          > Short answer:
          >
          > Use the current device and software and use lossless files ‹ you¹ll
          be fine.

          > On 1/31/06 7:39 PM, "RU 9" <nscb09@g...> wrote:
          >
          > > See:
          > >
          > > http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=20640&highlight=gapless

          <http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=20640&amp;highlight=gapless>
          > > http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=19807&highlight=gapless

          <http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=19807&amp;highlight=gapless>

          > > On 2/1/06, neuromudfud <min@p...> wrote:
          > >> Hi all,
          > >>
          > >> I have noted with interest the discussions about the squeezebox as an
          > >> alternative player to using CDs, etc. One thing I was wondering about
          > >> was whether the squeezebox has problems with music that is continuous
          > >> on the CD but on separate tracks. For example, the Goldberg
          Variations
          > >> with Glenn Gould. On an Apple ipod, there is an annoying pause
          between
          > >> each track (I know that one workaround is to set up an option where
          > >> the entire CD is a single mp3, but I haven't gotten around to it
          yet).

          > >> In any case my question is how the squeezebox handles these issues
          > >> with lossless formats, Flac or Apple's. Can one rip a CD like this
          > >> with multiple tracks and play it back without any introduced pauses?
          > >>
          > >> Thanks,
          > >> Chris Min
          > >>

          > >> Yahoo! Groups Links

          > >  YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
          > >
          > > *  Visit your group "regsaudioforum
          > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/regsaudioforum> " on the web.
          > > *
          > > *  To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

          > > *
          > > *  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service
          > > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

          Regards,

          Neal Van Berg
          http://moonlight-audio.com

          Castle Rock Co. 80109
          Phone 720 308 4000
          Fax 303 663 1902

        • neuromudfud
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 3, 2006
            Hi Neal,

            I'm jealous. My problem is that my laptop sits in a place where
            attaching a hard drive is not an option. I've been sneakily checking
            out NAS drives when the SO has not been looking over my shoulder...

            Chris

            --- In regsaudioforum@yahoogroups.com, Neal Van Berg <nealvb@...> wrote:

            > Chris,
            >
            > I just got a very quiet 250 Gig USB HD at Sams for $129.
            >
            > Neal
            >
            > neuromudfud <min@...> wrote:
            > Thanks for the info george and "RU 9"
            >
            > I guess I'll save up some change for the sb3 and a server (my poor
            > little mac laptop doesn't have the space on its hard drive)...
            >
            > Chris Min
            >
            > --- In regsaudioforum@yahoogroups.com, george day <george@h...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Short answer:
            > >
            > > Use the current device and software and use lossless files ‹ you¹ll
            > be fine.
            > >

            > > On 1/31/06 7:39 PM, "RU 9" <nscb09@g...> wrote:
            > >
            > > > See:

            http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=20640&highlight=gapless

            <http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=20640&highlight=gapless>

            http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=19807&highlight=gapless

            <http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=19807&highlight=gapless>

            > Variations
            > between
            > yet).

            > > > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
            > > >
            > > > * Visit your group "regsaudioforum
            > > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/regsaudioforum> " on the web.
            > > > *

            > > > *
            Service

            > Electronics Hobby and craft supply Craft hobby
            Hobbies and crafts Electronics hobby Hobby electronics

            Service.

            > ---------------------------------
            >

            > Regards,
            >
            > Neal Van Berg
            > http://moonlight-audio.com
            >
            > Castle Rock Co. 80109
            > Phone 720 308 4000
            > Fax 303 663 1902
            >

            > ---------------------------------

          • george day
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 3, 2006
              Re: [regsaudioforum] Re: squeezebox Many hard drives are very small and slender these days and sit on their edges.  Look at Maxtor and Lacie.

              YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

            • Jerome Leventhal
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 3, 2006

                Hi Chris

                If you have another computer in the house, you can connect the HD to that computer and wireless connect to your laptop computer. I am doing that now with my SB2.

                Jerry

                I'm jealous. My problem is that my laptop sits in a place where
                attaching a hard drive is not an option. I've been sneakily checking
                out NAS drives when the SO has not been looking over my shoulder...

                Chris

                --- In regsaudioforum@yahoogroups.com, Neal Van Berg <nealvb@...> wrote:

                > Chris,
                >
                >   I just got a very quiet 250 Gig USB HD at Sams for $129.
                >
                >   Neal
                >
                > neuromudfud <min@...> wrote:
                >   Thanks for the info george and "RU 9"
                >
                > I guess I'll save up some change for the sb3 and a server (my poor
                > little mac laptop doesn't have the space on its hard drive)...
                >
                > Chris Min
                >
                > --- In regsaudioforum@yahoogroups.com, george day <george@h...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Short answer:
                > >
                > > Use the current device and software and use lossless files ‹ you¹ll
                > be fine.
                > >

                > > On 1/31/06 7:39 PM, "RU 9" <nscb09@g...> wrote:
                > >
                > > > See:

                http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=20640&highlight=gapless

                <http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=20640&amp;highlight=gapless>

                http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=19807&highlight=gapless

                <http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=19807&amp;highlight=gapless>

                > Variations
                > between
                > yet).

                > > >  YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                > > >
                > > > *  Visit your group "regsaudioforum
                > > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/regsaudioforum> " on the web.
                > > > *
                > > > *  To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

                > > > *
                > > > *  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
                Service

                >         Electronics   Hobby and craft supply   Craft hobby
                Hobbies and crafts   Electronics hobby   Hobby electronics

                Service.

                > ---------------------------------
                >

                >       Regards,
                >
                > Neal Van Berg
                > http://moonlight-audio.com
                >
                > Castle Rock Co. 80109
                > Phone 720 308 4000
                > Fax 303 663 1902
                >

                > ---------------------------------

              • Richard Tuck
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 3, 2006
                  Hi Chris

                  Maybe sit the USB drive on the floor out of site?

                  You seem to be another poor guy with SO problems at the moment.   If you are having problems with a hard drive, imagine my problems with ceiling treatment but slowly slowly catchy money..................

                  Richard

                  PS Does you SO do digital photography, if so Western digital do a USB drive they call a Media Center, this has integral digital media reader slots for things like Compact Flash - http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=75

                  The things we do for our art.

                  If you have another computer in the house, you can connect the HD to that computer and wireless connect to your laptop computer. I am doing that now with my SB2.

                  Jerry

                  I'm jealous. My problem is that my laptop sits in a place where
                  attaching a hard drive is not an option. I've been sneakily checking
                  out NAS drives when the SO has not been looking over my shoulder...

                  Chris

                  --- In regsaudioforum@yahoogroups.com, Neal Van Berg <nealvb@...> wrote:

                  > Chris,
                  >
                  >   I just got a very quiet 250 Gig USB HD at Sams for $129.
                  >
                  >   Neal
                  >
                  > neuromudfud <min@...> wrote:
                  >   Thanks for the info george and "RU 9"
                  >
                  > I guess I'll save up some change for the sb3 and a server (my poor
                  > little mac laptop doesn't have the space on its hard drive)...
                  >
                  > Chris Min
                  >
                  > --- In regsaudioforum@yahoogroups.com, george day <george@h...> wrote:
                  >

                  > > Short answer:
                  > >
                  > > Use the current device and software and use lossless files ‹ you¹ll
                  > be fine.
                  > >

                  > > On 1/31/06 7:39 PM, "RU 9" <nscb09@g...> wrote:
                  > >

                  > > See:

                  http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=20640&highlight=gapless

                  <http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=20640&amp;highlight=gapless>

                  http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=19807&highlight=gapless

                  <http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=19807&amp;highlight=gapless>

                  >> alternative player to using CDs, etc. One thing I was
                  wondering

                  about

                  >> was whether the squeezebox has problems with music that
                  is

                  continuous

                  > >> on the CD but on separate tracks. For example, the
                  Goldberg

                  > Variations
                  > between
                  > yet).

                  > > >  YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                  > > >
                  > > > *  Visit your group "regsaudioforum
                  > > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/regsaudioforum> " on the web.
                  > > > *
                  > > > *  To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

                  > > > *
                  > > > *  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
                  Service

                  > <

                  >         Electronics   Hobby and craft supply   Craft hobby
                  Hobbies and crafts   Electronics hobby   Hobby electronics

                  Service.

                  > ---------------------------------
                  >

                  >       Regards,
                  >
                  > Neal Van Berg
                  > http://moonlight-audio.com
                  >
                  > Castle Rock Co. 80109
                  > Phone 720 308 4000
                  > Fax 303 663 1902
                  >

                  > ---------------------------------

                • neuromudfud
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 3, 2006
                    Thanks for the advice Richard, George, and Jerry,

                    As for a hard drive connected to the other computer– great idea, but
                    since it's in the bedroom, prefer not to have it on all 24/7.

                    I know those portable drives have become incredibly small, but it's a
                    function of the laptop living on a laptop stand in the living room.
                    With two 4-year-olds running around, a cable to one on the floor isn't
                    really an option.

                    Finally I must say I am overstating the SO part of it. She really lets
                    me pursue things to an almost embarrassing extent. It's just that my
                    philosophy is kind of like trying to be an iceberg. There is plenty to
                    see above the water, but I would like to keep all the ultimate
                    fantasies of what's possible hidden until the right time...

                    Chris

                    --- In regsaudioforum@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Tuck" <rtuck@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Chris
                    >
                    > Maybe sit the USB drive on the floor out of site?
                    >
                    > You seem to be another poor guy with SO problems at the moment. If
                    you are
                    > having problems with a hard drive, imagine my problems with ceiling
                    > treatment but slowly slowly catchy money..................
                    >
                    > Richard
                    >
                    > PS Does you SO do digital photography, if so Western digital do a
                    USB drive
                    > they call a Media Center, this has integral digital media reader
                    slots for
                    > things like Compact Flash -
                    > http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=75
                    >
                    > The things we do for our art.
                    >
                    > _____

                  • Richard Tuck
                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 3, 2006
                      "It's just that my philosophy is kind of like trying to be an iceberg. There is plenty to see above the water, but I would like to keep all the ultimate
                      fantasies of what's possible hidden until the right time..."

                      Hi Chris

                      You sound like my kind of guy - keep the faith

                      Richard

                      Ah little kids, I forgot all about their little ways, but maybe there will be grandchildren soon and the cycle will start all over again.

                      href="http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=75">http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=75

                      wrote:
                      > >   Thanks for the info george and "RU 9"
                      > >
                      > > I guess I'll save up some change for the sb3 and a server (my
                      poor
                      > > little mac laptop doesn't have the space on its hard
                      drive)...

                      > > Chris Min
                      > >
                      > > --- In
                      regsaudioforum@yahoogroups.com, george day <george@h...> wrote:

                      > > > Short answer:

                      Use the current device and software and use lossless files ‹ you¹ll

                      be fine.

                      > > > On 1/31/06 7:39
                      PM, "RU 9" <nscb09@g...> wrote:

                      See:

                      href="http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=20640">http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=20640

                      <http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=20640&highlight=gapless>

                      &highlight=gapless

                      > <
                      href="http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=20640">http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=20640

                      <http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=20640&highlight=gapless>

                      &amp;highlight=gapless>

                      href="http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=19807">http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=19807

                      <http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=19807&highlight=gapless>

                      &highlight=gapless

                      > <
                      href="http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=19807">http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=19807

                      <http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=19807&highlight=gapless>

                      &amp;highlight=gapless>

                      all,

                      href="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/regsaudioforum/">http://groups.yahoo.com/group/regsaudioforum/>

                      LINKS

                      "regsaudioforum
                      href="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/regsaudioforum">http://groups.yahoo.com/group/regsaudioforum> " on the web.

                      *  To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

                      Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
                      > Service

                      <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                      Electronics   Hobby and craft supply   Craft hobby
                      > Hobbies and crafts   Electronics
                      hobby   Hobby electronics

                      > > ---------------------------------
                      > >   YAHOO!
                      GROUPS LINKS

                      ---------------------------------

                      > >       Regards,

                      Neal Van Berg

                      href="http://moonlight-audio.com">http://moonlight-audio.com

                      > > Castle Rock Co. 80109
                      > > Phone 720 308
                      4000
                      > > Fax 303 663 1902
                      > >

                      > > ---------------------------------
                      > > Relax. Yahoo! Mail
                      virus scanning helps detect nasty viruses!

                      _____

                      > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                      >

                      > *      Visit
                      your group "regsaudioforum
                      > <
                      href="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/regsaudioforum">http://groups.yahoo.com/group/regsaudioforum> " on the web.

                      > *      Your use
                      of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service
                      > <

                      _____

                    • Jerome Leventhal
                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 3, 2006

                        Hi Chris

                        I keep the second computer on only when in normal use or when playing music. I shut the HD and the computer down when not in use.

                        Jerry