Messiah of Susskind and London Philharmonic

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 26, 2013

      People might be interested to try the London Phil /Susskind which you can buy on Amazon for less than $3(including shipping if you are a "Prime" member). This is from long ago, from the Golden Age(with the usual treble character)--Somerset/Stereo Fidelity. It is the one I bought as a teenager(I could afford it) so I have some sentimental attachment.

      The claim is that the original manuscript was used--this was a tentative try at authenticity before such a thing really existed as a formal concept. But it is not small forces. And the tempi are largely stately. I like it! to this day. The tempi just seem right to me, perhaps from habituation. (I played this every year at Christmas for many years--in fact, I am listening to it right now!).

      It is a little "wow-y" in places--analogue tape is really a fairly lousy medium compared to what is possible, e.g., DSD recording(claims that open reel tape is the ultimate medium are so odd that one can hardly take them in.To my ears this is in the category of saying that the Nakamichi centering turntables are curiosities). But they did as well as they could. And the spirit is just right for me.

      Try it! It could be for you one of the better $3 purchases you made recently. Cheaper than a latte!