Merry Xmas 2

  • laurie483000
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 26, 2013

      I need to correct the last sentence of my previous message as the meaning wasn't clear.  I  should really have been more specific, maybe like this - 'But this sentiment about sound quality on disc being uppermost, is not quite relevant to this historic Beecham / Messiah discussion.'

      Strange that the Stokowski / Bach T & F was mentioned just now, as Fantasia was on British TV for the first time ever, this Christmas Eve.  I hadn't seen it last for ages, maybe 30yrs ago, at a flea pit of a cinema, and I've been wanting for some time to have the opportunity to commit this to DVD - as I believe Disney were reluctant to release many copies of their pre recorded DVD in the UK at least (the other Disney I would really like to have on disc is Snow White and the Severn Dwarfs but that's OT - it used to be on TV every Christmas Day when I was young, but haven't seen it since then).

      Seeing Fantasia reminded me that I was going to ask about recommendable recordings of the Pastoral Symphony, following the messages here a week or so ago.  I seem to remember that a DG issue - possibly Carl Bohm - was popular for a long time.  I have the Vanska Beethoven Symphony set on SACD bought at knock down price and although I like some of his symphonies, the Pastoral is disappointing in several ways including strings being a bit shrill and sound generally lacking in body (ie bass).  I wonder Telarc's Pastoral offerings were like!

      Laurie

      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 26, 2013

        In spite of my reservations about the occasional peculiarities (in pitch among other things) of the Vienna Phil , I think Bernstein's Pastoral with the Vienna Phil is well worth listening to.  Unusual in places, but wonderful, in its own way.

        REG

      • Peter
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 26, 2013

          I just checked SA-CD.net and found SA-CD versions of the Pastoral with the following conductors (I've included full sets in the list.  When a full set isn't conducted by the same conductor, I've listed the Pastoral's conductor.)

          • Ryusuke Numajiri
          • Bruno Walter
          • Jos van Immerseel
          • Herbert von Karajan
          • Jaap van Zweden
          • Kurt Masur
          • Wilhelm Furtwängler
          • Rafael Kubelik
          • Mark Ermer
          • Charles Munch
          • Marc Ermler
          • Bernard Haitink
          • Seikyo Kim
          • Günter Wand
          • Osmo Vänskä
          • Takashi Asahina

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 26, 2013

            It is hard not to be amused by the idea of Furtwangler in SACD. Old analogue...

            REG

          • James David Walley