tone controls

    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 22, 2013

      In the current issue of The  Absolute Sound, the review of

      the Siltech amplifier,  contains a denunciation of tone controls--

      and a bunch of carrying on about the wonders of Golden Age records.

      Worth a look in some  sense.

      REG

    • Edward Mast
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 23, 2013
        Well, I wonder to whom JV could be referring with "other folks (including some on this very magazine)"?!
        While I do read JV's reviews because they're outlandish enough to be fun, I long ago realized that I don't hear what he does, and he doesn't hear what I do, when listening to music.  His disdain for tone controls is just more evidence of that.  I wish him well; he really has found a niche in reviewing the most expensive high-end gear.  But I do wonder if there's anyone out there who takes him seriously.  HP?  RH?

        Ned

        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 23, 2013

          What is a bit odd is that the old RCAs are considerably EQed. Maybe the loss of resolution that EQ is supposed to entail does not apply if the EQ was done a long time ago?

          REG

        • Ken Holder
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 25, 2013
            On 12/22/2013 10:03 PM, regtas43@... wrote:

            In the current issue of The  Absolute Sound, the review of

            the Siltech amplifier,  contains a denunciation of tone controls--

            and a bunch of carrying on about the wonders of Golden Age records.

            Worth a look in some  sense.

            In the sense of having a good chuckle at how thoroughly Mr. Valin
            has hypnotized himself into believing the $112,500 would be
            money well-spent.

            Makes some snarky comments about REG (I assume) too.

            But, I read Mr. Valin for entertainment, not for information.

            Ken Holder
            Old Guy

          • kevindoyle.forum
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 27, 2013

              Well, I finally got home from the holiday visits and read this review.

              Maybe EQ is less important to those with 8 reference speakers, 4 reference amplifiers and preamplifiers, and multiple looms of cables.  Don't like the way a recording sounds with one speaker?  Change to another one!  The recording may still not sound right, but it's enough that it sounds different.

              I had a less inspired EQ experience this past week.  Borrowing my wife's car, I was listening to satellite jazz station.  Whatever song I was listening to was so grating that I was concerned there was something wrong with her car speakers, but then I checked the EQ.  Just reducing the treble and bass dramatically increased listenability, and I was able to enjoy the music.

            • Bomwell, Alan
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 27, 2013

                Well, I finally got home from the holiday visits and read this review.

                Maybe EQ is less important to those with 8 reference speakers, 4 reference amplifiers and preamplifiers, and multiple looms of cables.  Don't like the way a recording sounds with one speaker?  Change to another one!  The recording may still not sound right, but it's enough that it sounds different.

                I had a less inspired EQ experience this past week.  Borrowing my wife's car, I was listening to satellite jazz station.  Whatever song I was listening to was so grating that I was concerned there was something wrong with her car speakers, but then I checked the EQ.  Just reducing the treble and bass dramatically increased listenability, and I was able to enjoy the music.

              • djanszen1
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 27, 2013

                  This reminds me in turn of an interesting aspect of car rental. In some cases, the EQ is adjusted in a way that IMO turns everything into noise, I can only assume to someone else's liking. As often comes up here, more evidence that taste in sound spans a wide range.

                • Bomwell, Alan
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 27, 2013
                    There is no accounting for other people's taste, as my wife likes to say, but people do hear differently.   For example in the case of people with upper frequency hearing loss, they may prefer to turn up the treble frequencies to gain clarity.   In my own case, with occasional tennitus, I'm particularly sensitive to over- bright recordings as they tend to exacerbate the problem.  And I prefer what others might call dull sounding recordings and playback.  Funny thing is the tennitus is never activated during live orchestral concerts!

                    Al

                    Sent from my iPad

                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 27, 2013
                      The bit rate of satellite transmissions is so low (roughly 20 kbps) that a lot of music is quite degraded sounding even when tonally well balanced.  It can sound gurgly or underwater with wavering tones, much like excess wow from a turntable.  This is especially noticeable on piano notes, but once you hear it on any instruments, you begin to focus on it on all the other sounds.  The satellite companies tend to devote a bit more bandwidth to more popular channels, though, so some channels sound better in this respect than others.

                      But plug your smart phone into your car's audio system and listen to the same transmission on the internet via the cell phone network and the greater bit rate will be immediately apparent.  What was marginally listenable now sounds truly great by comparison.

                      On Dec 27, 2013, at 2:54 AM, <doyle.kevin@...> wrote:

                      Well, I finally got home from the holiday visits and read this review.

                      Maybe EQ is less important to those with 8 reference speakers, 4 reference amplifiers and preamplifiers, and multiple looms of cables.  Don't like the way a recording sounds with one speaker?  Change to another one!  The recording may still not sound right, but it's enough that it sounds different.

                      I had a less inspired EQ experience this past week.  Borrowing my wife's car, I was listening to satellite jazz station.  Whatever song I was listening to was so grating that I was concerned there was something wrong with her car speakers, but then I checked the EQ.  Just reducing the treble and bass dramatically increased listenability, and I was able to enjoy the music.

                    • Charles Daniell
                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 27, 2013

                        It may be iPhone only, but there is an ap called EQu, ($2.99) that I use for all my music played via iPhone or iPad.

                        https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/equ-the-quality-equalizer/id403704212?mt=8

                        Easy, effective, and fun!

                        Charlie Daniell

                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 27, 2013

                          I no longer have a smartphone, but I'm sure that or a CD would have sounded better.  Still, I'm not sure if the problem I was experiencing was solely related to the bitrate of the transmission.  In this case, my wife had the EQ set at a smirk, not a full smile, and the tweeters were ringing a bit from excess HF.  Also, the subwoofer or woofers were sufficiently affected that the surrounding area was audibly vibrating, creating another distracting noise.  Amazingly, this was all with a fairly moderate volume level!  Turning it into a slight frown made all the difference in the world.  I was just happy to find out that we didn't need to have anything replaced.

                          I suppose the combination of source material, low bit rate, and excessive EQ at the frequency extremes all colluded to create the issue.