TAS discussion

    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 18, 2013

      You all might find it interesting to look at the discussion on the TAS site of the LS36s. It is quite startling to watch people opining about speakers that they have neither heard nor measured. (Not to mention that at least one of the people seems to be promoting products with which he is commercially associated--without saying so until called out by others). Makes one have even more sketicism about on line stuff than usual.

      REG

      PS People might like to look at this re the exotic shape

      http://www.stereophile.com/content/vivid-audio-b1-loudspeaker-measurements

      Does not seem to work out all that well....

    • ddm261125
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 19, 2013
        Reg,can you pls provide a link to the discussion,couldn't find it. Thanks
      • thomasmallin
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 19, 2013

          I think REG was referring to the comments which follow the TAS on-line version of his Stirling LS3/6 review here:

          http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/stirling-broadcast-ls36/

          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 19, 2013

            http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/stirling-broadcast-ls36/

            Scroll down to the end of the article(which is just my TAS review) ,and there are comments below it especially by someone named Jake Purches (who is apparently associated to Vivid)

            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 19, 2013

              Yes, indeed. There is some wild stuff there--like the idea that making a speaker shaped like the cochlea of the human ear is "science". Please, give me a break/

              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 19, 2013

                You all really ought to read this. It is quite startling, the arrogance of this engineering guy--combined with the fact that he seems to be a true idiot.  I have not listened to the Vivid speakers in a controlled environment. But the B1 at least looks totally screwed up in Stereophiles measurements. I think these people are off on a tangent. It may be that one needs to be sleptical about some aspects of audiophilia. But one needs to be superskeptical of engineers of this sort.

                REG

                PS Have a look at this and see whether this looks like a speaker that you want

                http://www.stereophile.com/content/vivid-audio-b1-loudspeaker-measurements

              • kevindoyle.forum
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 19, 2013

                  Jake Purches is a dealer.  The only speaker line he sells is Vivid.

                  http://www.fidelioaudio.co.uk/

                  Fidelio sound.com - the trading name for Fidelio Audio Ltd is owned by Jake Purches and Ray Rowles, long associated with B&W Loudspeakers Ltd. Jake witnessed the creation of Laurence Dickie’s radical Nautilus Loudspeaker, the first to use dipole drivers in exponential tapered horns, and documented its progress and Launch. Ray Rowles was former financial director of B&W apointed in the 80s to 2005. Jake and Ray have over 25 years' experience with high end audio, audio visual systems and surround sound and are pleased to be presenting to you the entire Vivid Audio range, and also a complementary range of sophisticated amplifiers, CD players, surround sound processors, high definition projectors, turntables and a full installation service.

                  His need to inject his comments about a competing line into the review page's comment section is extremely distasteful.

                  I know he says he worked at B&W, but I find it hard to believe he was involved in engineering.  He seems like more of a cheerleader.

                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 20, 2013
                    Thanks,TM, I found it. For some reason trying with android tabette I couldn't load the discussion-only when accessed it by PC!
                  • Charles Daniell
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 20, 2013

                      I now remember why I usually don’t read these things…  I get angry to think of some fool like this, (swimming in his bubble of delusional grandeur,) being willing and able to make negative comment on the work of two generations of true craftsmen. I do not use the term “craftsmen” lightly here. It is a way of life understood by too few.

                      The work of the Hughes family will bring the joy and magic of MUSIC into my life this holiday season, and after. Thank you, Derek, for this gift to me and my family. I will lift a fine Scotch to you, and your father’s memory, as well as a knowing nod.

                      Be well in the journey.

                      Happy New Year!

                      Charles F Daniell, DVM

                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 20, 2013

                        Oddly, I could not see the comments section in Google Chrome, but it came up fine in Firefox.

                      • kevindoyle.forum
                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 20, 2013

                          BTW, I am willing to bet money the guy never replies to REG's comments.