Kudos to forum member David Janszen

  • kevindoyle.forum
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 18, 2013
      I just want to congratulate David on what seemed to me an overwhelmingly positive and informative review from REG.  It was the sort of review that answers a lot of questions about a product, instead of merely supplying superlatives for marketing copy, and I hope it prompts those who were on the fence to take the plunge.

      More than ever, I'm looking forward to hearing them, and will PM you in the new year.  Sorry for the delayed response to your kind offer of finding a satisfied customer to provide a local audition, but the holiday season is always busy.

      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 18, 2013
        Yes, a very helpful review.

        Note to REG and other users of the Janszen:  To turn down the top octaves of the side-firing Janszen tweeters, you could try covering the tweeters with a sheet of facial tissue.  For the last year or so of use of my AR-303a's in the living room system I did that by attaching a single ply of 2-ply Kleenex facial tissue to the inside of the speaker grilles over the midrange and tweeter drivers.  Even though a single ply of this tissue is almost see-through, this reduced the top octave level by a measured 2 dB or so, taming the hot-to-my-ears top end enough to be more listenable.  Using both plies of the tissue cut the highs a bit too much for my taste in this system.

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 18, 2013

          This is a time honored trick(famous for the Yamaha NS10s). But in the case of the Janszens, the level of the tweeter is adjustable though the balance is not.  And since the sound in the top is bouncing off the side wall, one could damp the first reflection point a bit. I think this is probably a better idea than putting something over the tweeter though of course one can experiment since both things are free!

          REG

        • Bomwell, Alan
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 18, 2013

            Yes, I’ve been loving my Janszens since the summer!   The side tweeters reflect off the absorbent sides of 9” ASC tube traps at the first reflection points.   This works very well and can be adjusted by rotating the trap as desired.

            Regards,

            Al

            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 18, 2013

              Thanks! I was very happy with Robert's review. I thought he understood and appreciated what I am going for with those speakers, and explained it better than I can. So far, I think Robert's generous effort spent discussing setup might be actually putting people off, though, based on an apparent falling off of interest. It might not be obvious to all readers that the speakers are easy to set up to a high degree of enjoyability, thanks to their relatively high room independence, Of course optimization can take some effort, but is at least possible, thanks to the controls that Robert well explains.

              I feel like I'm being blatantly commercial, and please forgive me, but about waiting to audition until next year, just a reminder that the price goes up and the Early Adopter program ends as of Jan 1. There's no way to land dealers next year if I don't do this. We're backlogged into January (I'm happy so say), but orders placed this year count for this year, and we don't take payment until ready to ship.

              DAJ