Re: [regsaudioforum] RE: DNM Wires

  • Ted Rook
    Message 1 of 45 , Sep 29, 2013
      Going by what is on the website the use of low metal content is not supported by arguments
      except for a reference to eddy currents. My understanding is that these are circular electrical
      currents that flow when a conductor cuts a magnetic field. They can be useful and also
      troublesome in various sorts of electrical machines where the current or magnetic field is
      substantial. The use of metal for shielding in connectors and cases is well established. The
      magnetic fields and currents in the vicinity of hifi equipment are small, too small for eddy
      currents to be a problem. It is not clear how or why an eddy current in a case, shield or
      terminal is a source of audio problems and DNM offer no explanation.

      Regarding the electronics there is no price list so it is not possible to compare with similar
      offerings. The approach seems to be to tell us there is something wrong with our existing
      equipment, and the problem is due to magnetic fields and feedback loops that cause loss of
      emotional involvement with recorded music. There are nightmare tales of stuff going on that
      apparently has never been investigated or mastered by anyone else in the 90 year history of
      audio. The solutions apparently are available only to DNM customers. There is a brief
      specification page, mostly without limits or tolerances. There are no charts or measurements
      to support the claims. I'm skeptical.

      Ted

      Message 45 of 45 , Oct 1, 2013
        What is known about components added at either end of these cables?

        Fred.