RE: Re: [regsaudioforum] RE: DNM Wires

    Message 1 of 45 , Sep 29, 2013

      Like many things, it rather depends on the amount

      The three ohm or so output impedance of a lot of

      single ended triodes makes a big difference--since

      the impedance of speakers is often not larger by much than

      3 ohms(and may even be less). The output impedance

      of the amp and the impedance of the speaker are

      similar in size and things go all over the map as

      a result.

      But something like 0.3 ohms has, obviously , a much

      smaller effect. Of course, 0,0 ohms is ideal. But there

      is a big difference in the size of the effect between

      0.3 and 3 !

      I doubt that most people would find switching from

      the essentially 0 voltage tap on the Carver Sunfire

      and the 1 ohm "current source" tap to be a really

      huge thing. Of course it is audible. And it is surely

      enough to confuse one about the exact identity

      of a speaker under review.

      But in practice, when magazines reviewed the Sunfire,

      quite a few people actually preferred the CurrentSource.

      Of course it is wrong in a sense and it acts like

      an erratic tone control. But it pleased a lot of people.

      The point here is to know what is happening. Science

      is information, not morality. It is very helpful to know

      how things work--because if you don't, you cannot

      arrange so easily what you want and moreover you cannot

      defend yourself from people who are selling, whether

      wittingly or not, items that cost a lot but do things that

      could be done much more cheaply if one knew exactly what

      they were.

      But no one is obligated to do anything in particular

      by scientific considerations. Science is a servant--

      who enables you to do what you want. It makes

      no sense to let science start ordering you around,

      like a servant in Harold Pinter.

      On the other hand, if you want to control frequency

      response, it is easier to do it with an EQ --and more

      predictable--than with a high output impedance.

      Usually. For reasons that are obscure, people do

      seem to like higher output impedance sometimes.

      Maybe they like letting the speaker resonate a bit more.

      REG

      PS Generally neutrality sounds better to me. But

      recorded music is mostly pretty dismal stuff--very

      few recordings are actually all that good--and I have

      sympathy for people who want to fix them up somehow.

      Trouble is that a coloration to fix them up tends

      to sound after a while--or even really soon--like a

      coloration laid on, not like an improved recording.

      Too bad. It would be good to have a device that

      actually would improve recordings. Closest you can

      get is EQ that you can control.

      ---In regsaudioforum@yahoogroups.com, <regsaudioforum@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      "Mention of the effect of resistance of such cables puts me in mind of a mention (in this forum?) that adding series resistance (3 Ohms perhaps?) to a transistor amplifier can make it sound like a valve (tube) amp."
      REG talks about this in his review of the Carver Sunfire amp.  Carver supplies two outputs, current and voltage, the current having added resistance which indeed (I understand, though I haven't tried them on my Sunfire) make it sound more like a tube amp.
      Having discussed the science used - or mis-used - in the DNM speaker cables, what about the science involved in the DNM electronics; namely, the used of plastic for cases as opposed to metal?  Or any other aspects of their electronics?
      Ned

      Message 45 of 45 , Oct 1, 2013
        What is known about components added at either end of these cables?

        Fred.