RE: Re: [regsaudioforum] Re: Nice noises

    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 12, 2013

      Well it is not too bad for edgy--just the usual older peaky

      microphone sound,  On the whole, it is a nice job--

      and quite spectacular in places(sonically) as well

      as being a really good performance, I think.

      The sound shows its age a bit(I am not one that

      thinks that recording reached its apogee in the late

      1950s and early 1960s--though it did reach its peaks

      then[joke]).

      But the Solti Ring is a landmark historically.

      I don't think that there is anything wrong with the Ring

      on TV! Wagner did after all have in mind that one

      should watch the operas, and he went to a lot of trouble

      about the stage action, which was no simple thing in

      the 19th century to pull off.

      Parsifal is rather static visually, but the music

      is really miraculous. Also, T und I is amazing musically,

      if again rather static in action.

      All well worth exploring to say the least if one has not done so.

      REG

      --- In regsaudioforum@yahoogroups.com, <regsaudioforum@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      I've never found the Solti Ring to be "edgy," but that might just be system-dependent. Similarly, the Classic Records gold CDs of Bluebacks and RCAs, issued in the mid-'90s, have a reputation among some for being too bright, but they sound just fine on my system.

      What I have found about the Solti Ring, however, are more than a few moments of vocal overload, likely the result of difficulty setting levels when the singers were roaming all over the stage-grid without perfect predictability.  Interestingly, these seem to occur most often in Götterdämmerung and Die Walkure, the two last operas recorded.

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Sep 9, 2013, at 5:59 PM, <regtas43@...> wrote:

       The Solti Ring is indeed a little edgy--Decca in the 1950-early 1960s sound.

      Still, it is a kind of monument in audio history. Some judicious EQ

      works wonders!