Re: Good multi-channel recordings

    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 29, 2013
      I don't think I dismissed this exactly(though
      I might have). Certainly not because of Eschenbach.
      According to reports , the orchestra was not uniformly
      enthusiastic about him. Hence his departure, as
      I understand how things went(from a distance admittedly).
      As to Ondine--well, sometimes good recordings can
      be made with a lot of microphones. Sometimes.
      REG

      PS I have not heard this one. Comment is general
      only.

      --- In regsaudioforum@yahoogroups.com, Peter <alcomdata@...> wrote:

      > Another personal favorite multi-channel recording is the SA-CD of Saint-Saëns' Organ Symphony with the Philadelphia Orchestra.
      >
      > http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/4356%c2%a0
      >
      > As usual on SA-CD.net, there are only a handful of reviews for this album, but every one of them rates this 5 stars (out of 5) for sonics.
      >
      > Note that this recording has already been dismissed here because of the label (Ondine) and the conductor (Eschenbach), so think twice before buying.

    • Edward
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 30, 2013
        Hi Al

        I share your love for Mahler 9th. It was the first of his symphonies I heard as a teen, via the Philips Haitink/Concertgebouw lp, and it just about had me from the lead-in grooves.

        Edward