Re: [regsaudioforum] Happy 4th of July

    Message 1 of 32 , Jul 4, 2013
      "You wouldn't have wanted to deal with us on a long term basis anyway."

      Yes - and our formal recognition of American independence (3rd Sept 1783) confirmed it!
      We then re-directed our rowdies to Australia.

      ;-p

      Fred.

      Message 32 of 32 , Jul 6, 2013

        Your key might well be a Bunnell and indeed a "fist" can be so distinctive and hard to imitate as to have identified many an operator in "interesting times".  An excellent fist turns Morse to melody. The key I most used (now collect) was the Marconi 365b.  Typically bolted to a radio room desk and a work of precision yet tough enough to withstand bangs of exasperation or hang onto whilst being thrown around in storms.
        http://tinyurl.com/oozj6z3

        Your grandfather would have used telegraph morse which differs greatly from International morse code and it took great skill and focus to follow the clicks (rather than tones) of sounders then used.   Inexperienced operators would attach a tobacco tin lid to their sounder to increase the volume of the clicks and this may be the origin of the term "Lid" (now used as a criticism).
        Competent operators could transfer information in any language as if "human teleprinters" at 30 words per minute or faster and throughput could be so immense as to cause spasms and injuries like the dreaded "glass arm".  Semi-automatic "bug" keys that alleviate stress became an alternative by the early 1900s but even now, few users are as nice to copy as good ol' "brass pounders".

        Morse is an effective man-machine interface and back in the mid 1980s I developed an aid for the disabled involving spoken morse converted to text or actions by computer.  Funding and support limited its development to a "good idea".

        Ah - "Rock Island Line"?   The Lonnie Donegan version comes to mind....
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_aIQ1_sAVg

        And as an aside - his "Battle of New Orleans"
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aek9RP7eZWY

        :-)

        Fred.