Re: [regsaudioforum] Re: Harbeth Monitor 40 Speakers For Sale

  • brrywill
    Message 1 of 12 , May 13 2:45 PM
      Smiling...I was thinking the same thing, sans the eloquence.

      Barry

      In a message dated 5/13/2013 4:26:03 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, regtas43@... writes:

      "Well, I often wonder what the vintners buy
      One half so precious as the stuff they sell."
      REG

      Message 2 of 12 , May 13 4:40 PM
        Unfortunately not my own(the eloquence)--but I wish!
        REG

        Message 3 of 12 , May 13 7:46 PM
          Are we sure these are original M40s, not M40.1s?
          My generation of original M40s(which are from
          very early) have the ports at the bottom of
          the cabinet.
          Perhaps for some reason they were moved
          up during the pproduction period(which
          was reasonably long). But I wonder if these
          are not M40.1s. There ports are shown
          as in the middle of the cabinet front,
          not in the bottom ocrners, where mine are.

          Anyone interested surely ought to ask
          before plunking down the money!(Assuming
          that they were looking for original M40s).

          REG

          --- In regsaudioforum@yahoogroups.com, Tom Mallin <tmallin4@...> wrote:

          > Tim Ryan of Simplifi Audio recently told me that he is selling his personal
          > pair of Harbeth Monitor 40 speakers. I would not have known about this
          > sale otherwise because he has not posted the sale on either Audiogon or
          > e-Bay, the two used-equipment sites I frequently check.
          >
          > I thought I would let those on this forum know about the sale since we all
          > know the extremely high regard REG and others here have for these speakers.
          > REG has indicated on this forum his preference for these over the current
          > 40.1 model.
          >
          > The speakers are in the Eucalyptus finish and appear from the pictures to
          > be in great shape. Skylan four-post 14" stands and palletized shipment are
          > included in the $9,990 asking price.
          >
          > Here are the links to the ads:
          >
          > http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=116609.msg1221926#msg1221926
          >
          > http://www.head-fi.org/t/663381/rare-harbeth-m40s-w-premium-eucalyptus-finish-near-mint
          >
          > http://audioasylumtrader.com/ca/listing/Speakers-Stand-Mounted/Harbeth/M40s/w-premium-Eucalyptus-finish-Near-Mint/86553

        • Will_H
          Message 4 of 12 , May 13 7:58 PM
            They are M40's. You correctly guessed that the ports were moved up early on
            in the production cycle. (I'm assuming this must impact bass performance
            in-room?)

            Other cosmetic differences you can see in the pictures :
            1) tri-wire terminals on the M40 (vs. single-wire on the M40.1)
            2) 6 screws holding the woofer in place on the M40 (vs. 8 screws on the
            M40.1)

            The M40.1 also has a tweeter mesh with bigger openings, although the pics of
            the M40 are not close enough to see the fine mesh.

              Message 6 of 12 , May 13 9:09 PM
                Fair enough(and definitely true about
                the tri wiring--I actually forgot to look at that).
                Anyway, I just wanted to be sure for people.
                Not for me(I am not looking for a second pair).
                REG

                PS Is this really the price that M40s are going for?

                --- In regsaudioforum@yahoogroups.com, "Will_H" <will_hum@...> wrote:

                > They are M40's. You correctly guessed that the ports were moved up early on
                > in the production cycle. (I'm assuming this must impact bass performance
                > in-room?)
                >
                > Other cosmetic differences you can see in the pictures :
                > 1) tri-wire terminals on the M40 (vs. single-wire on the M40.1)
                > 2) 6 screws holding the woofer in place on the M40 (vs. 8 screws on the
                > M40.1)
                >
                > The M40.1 also has a tweeter mesh with bigger openings, although the pics of
                > the M40 are not close enough to see the fine mesh.

              • kevindoyle.forum
                Message 7 of 12 , May 13 11:52 PM
                  > PS Is this really the price that M40s are going for?

                  No.

                  Unless I'm mistaken, I don't think the M40s ever cost as much new as the ad states. What was the last year the M40s were made, before being replaced with the M40.1?

                  A new pair of M40.1's in the same finish cost $13,900. And Skylan stands are $575. I don't know where the $14,990 figure comes from.

                  --- In regsaudioforum@yahoogroups.com, "Robert" <regtas43@...> wrote:

                  > Fair enough(and definitely true about
                  > the tri wiring--I actually forgot to look at that).
                  > Anyway, I just wanted to be sure for people.
                  > Not for me(I am not looking for a second pair).
                  > REG
                  >
                  > PS Is this really the price that M40s are going for?
                  >
                  > --- In regsaudioforum@yahoogroups.com, "Will_H" <will_hum@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > They are M40's. You correctly guessed that the ports were moved up early on
                  > > in the production cycle. (I'm assuming this must impact bass performance
                  > > in-room?)
                  > >
                  > > Other cosmetic differences you can see in the pictures :
                  > > 1) tri-wire terminals on the M40 (vs. single-wire on the M40.1)
                  > > 2) 6 screws holding the woofer in place on the M40 (vs. 8 screws on the
                  > > M40.1)
                  > >
                  > > The M40.1 also has a tweeter mesh with bigger openings, although the pics of
                  > > the M40 are not close enough to see the fine mesh.

                • ghqsw12
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 14 3:47 AM
                    My M40s cost me 8400 Singapore dollars.

                    Yip

                    > PS Is this really the price that M40s are going for?

                    No.

                    Unless I'm mistaken, I don't think the M40s ever cost as much new as the ad states.  What was the last year the M40s were made, before being replaced with the M40.1?

                    A new pair of M40.1's in the same finish cost $13,900.  And Skylan stands are $575.  I don't know where the $14,990 figure comes from.

                    --- In regsaudioforum@yahoogroups.com, "Robert" <regtas43@...> wrote:

                    > Fair enough(and definitely true about
                    > the tri wiring--I actually forgot to look at that).
                    > Anyway, I just wanted to be sure for people.
                    > Not for me(I am not looking for a second pair).
                    > REG
                    >
                    > PS Is this really the price that M40s are going for?
                    >
                    > --- In regsaudioforum@yahoogroups.com, "Will_H" <will_hum@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > They are M40's.  You correctly guessed that the ports were moved up early on
                    > > in the production cycle. (I'm assuming this must impact bass performance
                    > > in-room?)
                    > >
                    > > Other cosmetic differences you can see in the pictures :
                    > > 1) tri-wire terminals on the M40 (vs. single-wire on the M40.1)
                    > > 2) 6 screws holding the woofer in place on the M40 (vs. 8 screws on the
                    > > M40.1)
                    > >
                    > > The M40.1 also has a tweeter mesh with bigger openings, although the pics of
                    > > the M40 are not close enough to see the fine mesh.

                    <*> Your email settings:
                        Individual Email | Traditional

                    <*> To change settings online go to:
                        (Yahoo! ID required)

                    <*> To change settings via email:
                        regsaudioforum-digest@yahoogroups.com
                        regsaudioforum-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                    Message 9 of 12 , May 14 9:23 AM
                      My M40s cost me $6,800 US dollars back in 2004 when I bought mine new from a US dealer.  There has been considerable general inflation since then, plus changes in the relative value of the Pound/Euro and the US dollar.

                      Message 10 of 12 , May 14 11:39 AM
                        I'd seen a review of the M40 from 2001 that had the price as $6400. So, it had only increased $400 between 2001 and 2004. I imagine the major increase occurred with the introduction of the new model, not between 2004 and 2008, when the new model was introduced. I could be wrong, though. In the US, at least, the price of the M40.1 is largely unchanged since it was introduced.

                        Bottom of all this, I think it's confusing that Tim's ad references a retail price that's actually closer to the M40.1s, not the M40s being sold.