Re: [regsaudioforum] The Golden Age

  • Edward Mast
    Message 1 of 2 , May 6, 2013
      This seems true to me.  Ironically, it can make one aware of how bad live performances can sound.  Hearing a concert by the Cypress (string) Quartet yesterday, I made the mistake of sitting in the fourth row of the 600 seat hall at a local  university music school.  Dreadful, hard, bright-with no warmth, sound.  After intermission things improved when I moved close to the back of the hall - row twelve of fifteen.  Even then, sound not as appealing as a well recorded quartet.  In a sense, yesterday recorded sound became my immediate reference for good sound.

      Ned
      On May 6, 2013, at 12:23 PM, Robert wrote:

      For all the distractions, the Golden Age of
      audio is really now! One has gotten to the point
      where signal transmission is effectively perfect,
      and speakers in rooms can be made truly superb.
      Hearing something like the truth of what is on
      the recordings is very much upon us.
      All one has to do is attend to what is really going
      on in terms of choosing equipment,
      and then... hear the music. Good times.