Re: [regsaudioforum] Re: Starker has left us

  • Edward Mast
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 29, 2013
      Starker did record the Bach suites later in life - not on Mercury (I've forgotten which label, but perhaps BMG/RCA) - for those who want his Bach but not his Mercury/Bach.
      Ned

      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 29, 2013
        According to an on-line review of one of the Starker sets posted just today at http://www.amazon.com/Bach-J-S-6-Cello-Suites/dp/B003VKW14Y/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1367259303&sr=1-2&keywords=Starker+Bach, Starker:

        "made five sets of recordings of the Bach suites, the pinnacle of the cello repertoire, though only three have been widely available. These are the early 1950s set for Period [just suites 1,3,4 & 6], issued on LP in the UK by Nixa and re-issued by Saga; the mid-60s set for Mercury; and this version for RCA. [In addition, there was a late 1950s EMI set [1, 2, 3 & 5 in mono: 4 & 6 in stereo], and a 1984 digital set for Sefal."

        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 29, 2013
          Also on Sefel(in between)

          REG
          --- In regsaudioforum@yahoogroups.com, Edward Mast <nedmast2@...> wrote:

          > Starker did record the Bach suites later in life - not on Mercury (I've forgotten which label, but perhaps BMG/RCA) - for those who want his Bach but not his Mercury/Bach.
          > Ned

        • Ted Rook
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 29, 2013
            I can thoroughly recommend the BMG/RCA Red Seal double CD of the full suite set,
            recorded 1992 at age 70.

            On 29 Apr 2013 at 18:26, Robert wrote:

            > Also on Sefel(in between)
            >
            > REG
            > --- In regsaudioforum@yahoogroups.com, Edward Mast <nedmast2@...>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Starker did record the Bach suites later in life - not on Mercury
            > (I've forgotten which label, but perhaps BMG/RCA) - for those who
            > want his Bach but not his Mercury/Bach.
            > > Ned

          • Charles Daniell
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 29, 2013

              RIP Janos Starker. Congratulations on a long life with joy brought to so many through your talent.

              Charlie Daniell