Re: 15 Best

    Message 1 of 41 , Apr 10 1:28 PM
      If you really want the live levels of big bands
      at moderately close range, I recommend the
      Cerwin Vegas CLS 215 (or its successors--
      I believe the exact model has been discontinued).
      They will do it--and without too much amp power.
      Why you might one this is a bit of a mystery.
      But if you do....
      And because of their controlled pattern, they
      do not even sound disagreeable from "room roar".
      At some point, I really let them rip for Tam Henderson
      on an RR recording(Alborada del Gracioso as it happens).
      He was impressed! Quite a show if live close range
      levels are your thing
      REG

      --- In regsaudioforum@yahoogroups.com, Edward Mast <nedmast2@...> wrote:

      > As Tom points out, the home audio system generally doesn't replicate the sound of the live performance of acoustic music. But much depends upon the venue and one's position in it. I play string quartets and piano trios regularly and often attend performances. Many is the time when I've thought how much I would prefer - to the live sound - the sound of such a group as heard on a decent recording.
      >
      > Ned
      > On Apr 10, 2013, at 10:14 AM, Tom Mallin wrote:
      >

      > > Big band music sounds no more like the music is in your listening room than any other large ensemble music, Yip. And as I commented the other day in response to hearing a string quartet performance in an ordinary living room, I've never heard a home audio system that could do justice to even that experience.
      > >
      > > But as far as taking you to the concert hall, a home audio system can do a much better job if that is the goal. Big bands usually aren't as angularly wide as large orchestras, so the subtended angle is usually not a problem. In concert, big bands are louder than orchestras (I'd guesstimate about 10 dB louder on peaks), but if your speakers and amps are up to it, you can get to 105 dB peaks, SPL-wise, if you wish. If you are 10 rows back or more at a big band concert, I'd guess that 105 dB is about as loud as an unamplified (except for the electric guitar and bass, if any) big band gets.
      > >

      > > On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 5:20 AM, <yipmangmeng@...> wrote:
      > >

      > > Does Big Band Music sound like what one hears in the hall in one's small listening room?
      > >

      > > RECENT ACTIVITY:
      > > New Files 1
      > > Visit Your Group
      > >
      > > Switch to: Text-Only, Daily Digest • Unsubscribe • Terms of Use • Send us Feedback
      > > .

    • Ted Rook
      Message 41 of 41 , Apr 13 10:45 AM
        some favorites

        Handel Concerto Grosso Op.6 Nr 12, Collegium Aureum, Harmonia Mundi LP, especially the
        Largo movement

        Bach St Mathew Passion, Utrechts Symphony Orch, Piet van Egmond, Royal Classic CD,
        especially the aria for bass "Mache dich mein Herze rein"

        Sibelius Symphony 5, Boston Symphony Orch, Colin Davis, Philips LP 1975

        Sibelius Symphony 7, Boston Symphony Orch, Colin Davis, Philips LP 1975

        Bach Suites for Cello, Starker, RCA Red Seal (1992) CD

        Strauss, Waltzes and Polkas, Vienna Phil, Belart (Decca) CD

        Handel Suite for Harpsichord #5, Gilbert, Harmonia Mundi LP

        Handel Messiah

        Chopin Etude Op.10 #3, Agustin Anievas, EMI Classics Double Forte CD

        Mahler Symphony #4, Bavarian Radio Symph Orch, DG LP

        Mahler Symphony #5 St. Petersburg SO, Water Lily CD, esp the Adagietto

        Ted