Ondine and Philadelphia

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 2 10:42 AM
      I have not heard the Organ Symphony recording.
      But I have heard some of the other Ondine Philadelphia
      recordings. Not disgraceful,moderately good
      would be the description I suppsed,
      but not particularly outstanding.

      The Ondine/Philadelphia connection came about because
      Eschenbach had some sort of personal relationship with
      some of the Ondine people. But no one much liked
      the recordings at the time as far as I can tell,and
      I don't think they made much of an immpression on anyone
      (except Peter apparently)
      Nor indeed in the end did anyone much like Eschenbach either
      (or so it seemed). Anyway, he is gone and so are they.
      Ondine seems like an ok company, but the recordings ,or at least
      the ones I have heard, were not anything special.
      I felt no temptation to buy any more of them.
      REG
      PS The 10th row would be an ok place to make a Blumlein
      (or if you want multichannel, Ambisonic) recording.
      Peter just makes up stuff about recordings and how
      they are made. You can't believe any of it.
    • Peter
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 2 11:08 AM
        > I don't think they made much of an immpression on anyone
        (except Peter apparently)
        About this particular recording:

        " a breathtaking achievement."  -- BBC Music Magazine

        "a Saint-Saëns Organ Symphony that blazes its way right to the top of the pile."  -- TAS Golden Ear Music Awards, Editor's Choice Award

        "I have never heard an organ sound so good from top to bottom in a thoroughly natural concert hall setting."
        Arthur Lintgen, Fanfare Magazine, July/August 2007

        "one of the most outstanding SACDs yet."  -- Kalman Rubinson, Stereophile

        "The recording itself is a stunner (...) demonstration-quality result"  --  BBC Radio 3

        "The orchestra is in glorious form, with rich strings and a ringing brass section "  Time Out Chicago

        "Just on the basis of the Saint-Saëns symphony, this disc is among the best out there."  --  Philadelphia Inquirer

        " The sound is magnificent"  -- The Guardian

        "the sound appears to be phenomenal"  --  klassik-heute.com

        This partial list is from Ondine's website, which I linked to in my original post about this recording.

        Kalman Rubinson had this to add in his Music in the Round #24 column from Stereophile:  " it was simply the best-sounding recording of this piece that I had heard."

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 2 12:52 PM
          > no one much liked the [Ondine] recordings at the time as far as I can tell,and
          I don't think they made much of an immpression on anyone
          (except Peter apparently)

          Three additional Ondine/Eschenbach/Philadelphia SA-CDs (all hybrid 5.0 multichannel) made HP’s TAS 2007 Super SACD list:
          Barber Toccata Festiva (ODE 1094)
          Tchaikovsky Symphony No. 4 (ODE 1104)
          Tchaikovsky Symphony No. 5 (ODE 1076)