Further thoughts on the HRx vs. CD Arnold Overtures

  • Peter
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 29, 2013
      Perfect timing, forever?

      My new HRx version of the Arnold Overtures just happened to hit my doorstep the same day I attended an open rehearsal of the St. Matthew Passion with the Philadelphia Orchestra.

      I should have connected these dots right away, but at my age, I hope you'll allow me a 24-hour mulligan.

      The HRx version sounds much more like what I assume the original analog master sounds like.  (I say "assume" because I obviously haven't heard the master itself.)  So in that sense, the HRx sounds closer to the source than the CD.

      However, with a real, live orchestra fresh in my memory, neither the CD nor the HRx sounded anything like what I heard at Verizon Hall, even allowing for different orchestra, different venue, etc.  In other words, live music sounded like live music; neither recording did, though both had certain aspects of live music that most recordings miss.