Re: Fifteen best

  • darbypope
    Message 1 of 38 , Mar 24, 2013
      What does "best sounding" mean? Are we talking best recorded, most fun to play, or what?

      -
    • Edward
      Message 38 of 38 , Apr 1, 2013
        I'll venture out there with this title, the Salon Orchestra of Belvedere (Weimar) on the Obligat label:

        http://www.amazon.com/Salon-Music-Orchestra-Belvedere/dp/B00000C2DJ/ref=sr_1_216?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1364575487&sr=1-216&keywords=robert+stolz

        Better photo of cover art here:

        http://www.allmusic.com/album/release/belvedere-salon-orchestra-weimar-mr0002090368

        Charming salon music played competently though not expertly by a string quartet plus double bass and piano(s). This recording is up close and vivid, which I don't usually like in chamber music recordings. But there is something peculiarly, hypnotically lifelike about it, all the same. I would be curious to hear what the recording technique experts here think of it. If you say it was obviously made with three dozen omnis spaced ten leagues apart, well, I guess I'll go back to adjusting my stereo!

        Edward