Re: [regsaudioforum] Re: Stirling Broadcast LS3/6 First Impressions

    Message 1 of 43 , Mar 10, 2013
      Amen!

      On Mar 9, 2013, at 7:49 PM, Charles Daniell <cfd@...> wrote:

      Well. Well.

      Between REG, TM, and Yip, (who have all heard many great speakers,) we seem to have a speaker that is quite special! I do not ever recall such universal praise to be found here. Looks like I need to get a pair…

      Charlie

      Message 43 of 43 , Mar 12, 2013
        Hi Laurie
        I think the Q-factor of the reflex port is calculable or at least known by experience and becomes part of the equation. Like the electrical Q of chassis and the lowpass filter coil affects the optimum cabinet size, the shape of the reflex port requires adapting the length.
        Placing straws into the port reduces crosssection and adds damping. It is most likely that upper midrange content from the rear of the cone cannot pass the port with the straws implemented as it acts more as a low pass filter then.
        One way to reduce port noise is adding a foam ring around the inner end of the port. Like known from a flute, both ends of the port matter.
        We dont know what the designer intended when dimensioning the port and selecting its shape.
        BR HM