Re: Gradient Active Revolution: question about concentric driver imaging

  • HM
    Message 1 of 23 , Mar 7, 2013
      Hi Kevin
      There are Blauert bands that relate with height localization (see messages 37007 and 33773), frequency bands that affect localization depending on the spectral content of music, independent from loudspeaker position or chassis arrangement.
      Despite the location at the back of the speaker magnet, the tweeter of the Tannoy Dual Concentric advances the bass/midrange in the step response (stereophile measurements) and other speakers like KEF coincident drivers are time coherent but not time coincident. Some KEF units work with inverted tweeters to achieve time coherence, this does not appear as negative as the many inverted classical recordings (90% in my collection) to my ears.
      BR HM

      > I really don't hear any slit effect with my Tannoys, but I'm going to try not to--REG said that once you notice it, it's hard to ignore: I'm hoping to remain ignorant, lest I have to buy new speakers! Not just yet....
      >
      > Kevin
    • kevingan3
      Message 2 of 23 , Mar 8, 2013
        Thanks for those references--these are new concepts for me, so I have homework to do!

        Kevin

        --- In regsaudioforum@yahoogroups.com, "HM" <hmartinburm@...> wrote:

        > Hi Kevin
        > There are Blauert bands that relate with height localization (see messages 37007 and 33773), frequency bands that affect localization depending on the spectral content of music, independent from loudspeaker position or chassis arrangement.
        > Despite the location at the back of the speaker magnet, the tweeter of the Tannoy Dual Concentric advances the bass/midrange in the step response (stereophile measurements) and other speakers like KEF coincident drivers are time coherent but not time coincident. Some KEF units work with inverted tweeters to achieve time coherence, this does not appear as negative as the many inverted classical recordings (90% in my collection) to my ears.
        > BR HM
        >

        > > I really don't hear any slit effect with my Tannoys, but I'm going to try not to--REG said that once you notice it, it's hard to ignore: I'm hoping to remain ignorant, lest I have to buy new speakers! Not just yet....
        > >
        > > Kevin

      • kevindoyle.forum
        Message 3 of 23 , Mar 8, 2013
          I think I'd heard that the EDO was primarily to use the USB output so hadn't given it much thought. I also thought it was primarily for those planning to output high resolution files. Since neither of these is a concern to me, I hadn't looked further into it. Apparently, I was wrong. I'll check it out this weekend.

          I hadn't used the analog outputs of the Touch since I first bought it, until just recently. They really are very good.