Re: Aubort engineered set of Haydn Quartets (complete)

    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 21, 2013
      Spaced omnis(which Aubort always used)
      no doubt accounts for the clumped
      images! Still it is (tonal) sound that counts--
      string quartets are hardly a demo item
      for imaging!--
      and Aubort was usually really good on that
      (I have not heard this set but Aubort
      recordings tend to be of a piece)
      REG
      --- In regsaudioforum@yahoogroups.com, "Edward" <Edward_Wu@...> wrote:

      > A blurb from Jed Distler of Stereophile:
      >
      > HAYDN: Complete String Quartets
      > Angeles String Quartet
      > Philips 464 650-2 (21 CDs). 2001. Joanna Nickrenz, prod.; Marc Aubort, eng. DDD. TT: 22:30:00
      > Here's a chamber-music buff's dream come true: Haydn's complete string quartets, packaged in an elegant, space-saving box, all stunningly performed. The young, California-based Angeles String Quartet worked on this project for five years, and it shows. Their masterful playing abounds in stylish intelligence and impeccably timed transitions, along with subtle dynamic nuances and color shadings that illuminate the music's boundless invention rather than shift your attention to the performers' effortless virtuosity. Add Philips' gorgeous, warm sonics and you've got a reference Haydn set that towers over the competition.
      >
      > ******[end of quote]
      >
      > And it turns out that one of our forum members, "Mike in NC" (could it be the same Mike who wrote recently about designing a listening room from scratch?) had this to say about the Haydn/Angeles Quartet set in Message no. 5609:
      >
      > "Elite Recordings NYC (as I believe A&N
      > > called their outfit) also recorded the complete Haydn set by the
      > > Angeles Quartet on Philips. This again is far better than most
      > string
      > > quartet recordings in relative lack of steeliness or apparent
      > > overload. The imaging is not particularly good, and on some of the
      > > discs, the instruments seem clumped together. However, that's far
      > > less objectionable that the sins mentioned earlier. Besides, they
      > are very good performances that have brought me a lot of pleasure."
      >

      > --- In regsaudioforum@yahoogroups.com, "Edward" <Edward_Wu@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I just took a chance and ordered a used copy of this set:
      > >
      > > http://www.amazon.com/Haydn-Complete-Quartets-Angeles-Quartet/dp/B0000501PC/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1361472900&sr=1-1&keywords=angeles+quartet+haydn
      > >
      > > Not sure when there will be time to listen to all 20+ discs, but two things make it a standout (in addition to the Grammy it won, if that matters to you):
      > >
      > > 1. It was engineered by Marc Aubort. (REG mentioned here that Aubort considered a Telarc disc of Debussy/Ravel quartets his favorite recording project, so I am assuming he took good care here.)
      > >
      > > 2. Many of the Amazon reviewers complained about the distant sound! (I am not a fan of chamber music recordings that stick your ears in the middle of the group.)
      > >
      > > Edward

    • mike44402903
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 4, 2013
        --- In regsaudioforum@yahoogroups.com, "Edward" <Edward_Wu@...> wrote:

        > And it turns out that one of our forum members, "Mike in NC" (could it be the same Mike who wrote recently about designing a listening room from scratch?) had this to say about the Haydn/Angeles Quartet set in Message no. 5609:
        >
        > "Elite Recordings NYC (as I believe A&N
        > > called their outfit) also recorded the complete Haydn set by the
        > > Angeles Quartet on Philips. This again is far better than most
        > string
        > > quartet recordings in relative lack of steeliness or apparent
        > > overload. The imaging is not particularly good, and on some of the
        > > discs, the instruments seem clumped together. However, that's far
        > > less objectionable that the sins mentioned earlier. Besides, they
        > are very good performances that have brought me a lot of pleasure."

        Yes, it's the same Mike (just back from working out of town). I can't remember why or when I changed my user name; perhaps it was when we moved from North Carolina to Oregon.

        I still feel the same about the recordings. They are really good performances in very good sound. (But they will not satisfy the HIP crowd.) Sometimes, I think that the performances suffered a bit by the Angeles' playing all 60+ quartets, as there is a slight lack of variety of expression. But I'm picking nits here; this is an outstanding set that it's a true pleasure to own and listen to.
      • mike44402903
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 4, 2013
          --- In regsaudioforum@yahoogroups.com, "Robert" <regtas43@...> wrote:

          > Spaced omnis(which Aubort always used)
          > no doubt accounts for the clumped
          > images! Still it is (tonal) sound that counts--
          > string quartets are hardly a demo item
          > for imaging!--
          > and Aubort was usually really good on that
          > (I have not heard this set but Aubort
          > recordings tend to be of a piece)
          > REG

          I agree: tonality is the important thing. This is much better than the most recordings of string quartets in that regard. I find them more natural.
        • mike44402903
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 15, 2013
            Tonight, I ripped this set to my computer -- I'm ripping my whole music library. When it's done, I'll be able to play anything I have, in any order, on the big system upstairs or the little one downstairs.

            It is a pleasure to pick out one quartet without rummaging through all the discs.

            Working on this set made me remember this thread, and I am wondering if Edward and Ted (or others) have listened to it, and if so, how do you like it?

            Mike

            --- In regsaudioforum@yahoogroups.com, Edward Mast <nedmast2@...> wrote:

            > I hope you'll let us know how you like the recordings, Edward. It may be the next big set I order (I've just ordered the Bernstein Symphony set).
            > Ned
            > On Feb 21, 2013, at 2:33 PM, Edward wrote:
            >
            > > I just took a chance and ordered a used copy of this set:
            > >
            > > http://www.amazon.com/Haydn-Complete-Quartets-Angeles-Quartet/dp/B0000501PC/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1361472900&sr=1-1&keywords=angeles+quartet+haydn
            > >
            > > Not sure when there will be time to listen to all 20+ discs, but two things make it a standout (in addition to the Grammy it won, if that matters to you):
            > >
            > > 1. It was engineered by Marc Aubort. (REG mentioned here that Aubort considered a Telarc disc of Debussy/Ravel quartets his favorite recording project, so I am assuming he took good care here.)
            > >
            > > 2. Many of the Amazon reviewers complained about the distant sound! (I am not a fan of chamber music recordings that stick your ears in the middle of the group.)
            > >
            > > Edward

          • Edward
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 17, 2013
              Hi Mike

              I liked this Haydn set very much for both the playing and the sound, which complement each other in their energy and bloom. Somewhere on the web I read that the Angeles Quartet broke up soon after completing the set (maybe even because of the stress of completing the set). It was a high price to pay but they really are lovely recordings.

              Edward