Re: [regsaudioforum] Re: reading TAS - or UNreading TAS

  • Ian Boyd
    Message 1 of 36 , Jan 1, 2006
      Just to emphasise what Richard says, the exchange rate at the moment gives US $1.72 for £1. So if US audio components are sold in the UK at $1 = £1, that means UK customers are paying 72% extra. There are lots of examples of this kind of pricing still. For example the Benchmark DAC1 is $975 in the US, $939 in the UK.

      Going the other way, a pair of Harbeth HL Compact 7ES2 costs £1695 in the UK, and £2695 in the US, I gather. That's a rate of $1.59 - so they're actually cheaper in the US! The P3 ES2 is even more extreme: £1195 in the UK, $1595 in the US, which is only $1.33 to £1. (I don't know for sure if these US prices are up to date - but they are the prices shown on the Fidelis web-site.)

      Higher taxation is a fact in the UK, but it doesn't go anywhere near explaining these kind of prices!

      Ian

      Richard Tuck <rtuck@...> wrote:
      Hi Tom

      You do pay more e.g. HiFi News subscription - UK £37.44 ($64.80) versus USA $93.

      Although it's much better now, the prices on things in absolute terms (it was even worse as a function of average wages) where abnormally high.  Hence the term Rip-off Britain.

      Cars were a real rip-off compared to the price of identical models in Europe, this was to give high dealer margins and no doubt the car makers did quite nicely.    One of the good things that came from the EU was a move to harmonise car prices.  Prior to that enterprising souls would go over to Germany, buy a BMW and drive it home (they could even buy ones with RH Drive) and save thousands of pounds.  But you could also buy a Nissan made in the UK in Germany and save thousands.  This so called "personal importing" was hard work and could backfire as my brother-in-law discovered  when he drove his shiny new Audi out of the dealer in Germany straight into a major accident!

      But let's look at the other way:  A dCS P8i CD/SACD player retails (including 17.5% VAT) in the UK at £6995.  The same device sells in the USA at $13,995 i.e. $2 = £1.

      Lets look at what happens the other way:  Take a Martin Logan Clarity Loudspeaker

      US RRP $2695 - UK RRP £2498 i.e. £1 = $1.07

      So the dollar = pound exchange rate is still happening.

      Richard

      Message 36 of 36 , Jan 2, 2006
        The UK price includes VAT, while the US price does not include sales
        tax (differs by state and county). At an exchange rate of $1.72,
        the UK price for the C7 is about $2480 sans VAT. So, a bit over
        $200 for shipping and duty is reflected in the US price. Being an
        unreformed capitalist pig, I assume the prices reflect the market,
        and the fair price is whatever the market will bear. It works both
        ways. Back when things were slow and there were only a handful of
        Harbeth fans in the US and no US distributor, I bought new pairs of
        original P3s from the outgoing distributor for less than a used pair
        sells for now. Even better, I bought my C7s from Signals when Alan
        was running some sort of sale.

        Paul

        --- In regsaudioforum@yahoogroups.com, "Ian Boyd" <ianboyd@n...>
        wrote:

        > Just to emphasise what Richard says, the exchange rate at the
        moment gives US $1.72 for £1. So if US audio components are sold in
        the UK at $1 = £1, that means UK customers are paying 72% extra.
        There are lots of examples of this kind of pricing still. For
        example the Benchmark DAC1 is $975 in the US, $939 in the UK.

        > Going the other way, a pair of Harbeth HL Compact 7ES2 costs £1695
        in the UK, and £2695 in the US, I gather. That's a rate of $1.59 -
        so they're actually cheaper in the US! The P3 ES2 is even more
        extreme: £1195 in the UK, $1595 in the US, which is only $1.33 to
        £1. (I don't know for sure if these US prices are up to date - but
        they are the prices shown on the Fidelis web-site.)

        > Higher taxation is a fact in the UK, but it doesn't go anywhere
        near explaining these kind of prices!

        > Ian
        >

        > Richard Tuck <rtuck@t...> wrote:
        > Hi Tom
        >
        > You do pay more e.g. HiFi News subscription - UK £37.44
        ($64.80) versus USA $93.

        > Although it's much better now, the prices on things in
        absolute terms (it was even worse as a function of average wages)
        where abnormally high. Hence the term Rip-off Britain.

        > Cars were a real rip-off compared to the price of identical
        models in Europe, this was to give high dealer margins and no doubt
        the car makers did quite nicely. One of the good things that came
        from the EU was a move to harmonise car prices. Prior to that
        enterprising souls would go over to Germany, buy a BMW and drive it
        home (they could even buy ones with RH Drive) and save thousands of
        pounds. But you could also buy a Nissan made in the UK in Germany
        and save thousands. This so called "personal importing" was hard
        work and could backfire as my brother-in-law discovered when he
        drove his shiny new Audi out of the dealer in Germany straight into
        a major accident!

        > But let's look at the other way: A dCS P8i CD/SACD player
        retails (including 17.5% VAT) in the UK at £6995. The same device
        sells in the USA at $13,995 i.e. $2 = £1.

        > Lets look at what happens the other way: Take a Martin Logan
        Clarity Loudspeaker

        > US RRP $2695 - UK RRP £2498 i.e. £1 = $1.07
        >
        > So the dollar = pound exchange rate is still happening.
        >
        > Richard

        ---------

        Terms of Service.