IMG00024-20130117-1310.jpg

  • Bomwell, Alan
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 17, 2013
    Hi Jeff,

    Here is a new before and after full range photo using the DualCore instructions you received from Tim Ryan and kindly passed on to me. The speakers now aim directly at the listening chair, still 9 feet away. I ran the correction up to 490Hz to try and catch a peak vs. a null, as you suggested (450Hz didn't quite do it). I'm still adding back some bass tilt and EQing down a peak at 500Hz. Again, the correction is for both main speakers plus one sub.

    The sound is definitely livelier on top than before, when they were pointing straight ahead.

    I'll continue moving things around to tweak the response.

    Many thanks for all the helpful suggestion by REG, you and others!!

    My best...Al
    Message 2 of 4 , Jan 17, 2013
      There is still a LOT of droop in the highs.  The way I read the graph, 20 kHz is at least 18 dB below 20 Hz and almost that much down from 1 kHz.

      I wonder if there is something unusual about the way you are using the microphone, Al.  Do you have it pointed straight up at the listening position (as specified in the instructions) and held away from absorbing surfaces?  Or perhaps you have one of the DualCore's high frequency roll off filters inadvertently engaged.  You may be using a Quick Tone which both boosts the bass and cuts the treble, for example.

      On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 12:39 PM, Bomwell, Alan <abomwell@...> wrote:

      [Attachment(s) from Bomwell, Alan included below]

      Hi Jeff,

      Here is a new before and after full range photo using the DualCore instructions you received from Tim Ryan and kindly passed on to me. The speakers now aim directly at the listening chair, still 9 feet away. I ran the correction up to 490Hz to try and catch a peak vs. a null, as you suggested (450Hz didn't quite do it). I'm still adding back some bass tilt and EQing down a peak at 500Hz. Again, the correction is for both main speakers plus one sub.

      The sound is definitely livelier on top than before, when they were pointing straight ahead.

      I'll continue moving things around to tweak the response.

      Many thanks for all the helpful suggestion by REG, you and others!!

      My best...Al

    • jeff
      Message 3 of 4 , Jan 17, 2013
        Hi Al.

        A couple more things to note on this graph. The Dual Core lops off the resonant peaks in the bass by reducing the level at those frequencies, obviously. This means that your system will have more headroom at those frequencies than it had before room correction.

        Also, the smoothing by the Dual Core is done at 1/6th octave, so you will see more irregularities than one would if 1/3 octave smoothing were used. Tim Ryan gives credit for this design choice to REG.

        It looks like your room has resonances at 50, 100, and 200 Hz. From that you might calculate one or more of your room dimensions (or you could just measure ;-) ).

        best,
        jeff

        --- In regsaudioforum@yahoogroups.com, "Bomwell, Alan" wrote:

        > Hi Jeff,
        >
        > Here is a new before and after full range photo using the DualCore instructions you received from Tim Ryan and kindly passed on to me. The speakers now aim directly at the listening chair, still 9 feet away. I ran the correction up to 490Hz to try and catch a peak vs. a null, as you suggested (450Hz didn't quite do it). I'm still adding back some bass tilt and EQing down a peak at 500Hz. Again, the correction is for both main speakers plus one sub.
        >
        > The sound is definitely livelier on top than before, when they were pointing straight ahead.
        >
        > I'll continue moving things around to tweak the response.
        >
        > Many thanks for all the helpful suggestion by REG, you and others!!
        >
        > My best...Al

      • Bomwell, Alan
        Message 4 of 4 , Jan 18, 2013
          Hi Jeff,

          Thanks for both responses. There surely is a wealth of knowledge to be found on this forum thanks to REG and people like you who freely share their expertise!

          My regards,