IMG00018-20130116-2225.jpg

  • Bomwell, Alan
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 16, 2013
    REG, here is the full range sweep with the changes I've made. Any suggestions are most appreciated!

    Regards,

    Al
    Message 2 of 9 , Jan 16, 2013
      This is something of a mystery to me. Are you in
      a really dead room at a large distance?
      The speaker itself is quite flat. I am not sure
      where the big droop in the higher frequencies
      would have come from.
      Could you describe the nature of this measurement-
      eg how far you were from the speakers.

      REG

      Message 3 of 9 , Jan 16, 2013
        Do you have the speakers aimed straight at
        the listening position? You need to
        to get anything like flat response.
        Of course the big rolloff might sound
        somewhat pleasant on a lot of recordings.
        But it is not really right.
        I realize that someone said that
        Stirling the man was quoted by someone
        as saying to point the
        down the room with no toe in
        but I think this is altogether too dim
        and also lacks stereo focus.

        REG
        --- In regsaudioforum@yahoogroups.com, "Robert" wrote:

        > This is something of a mystery to me. Are you in
        > a really dead room at a large distance?
        > The speaker itself is quite flat. I am not sure
        > where the big droop in the higher frequencies
        > would have come from.
        > Could you describe the nature of this measurement-
        > eg how far you were from the speakers.
        >
        > REG
        >
        > --- In regsaudioforum@yahoogroups.com, "Bomwell, Alan" wrote:
        > >
        > > REG, here is the full range sweep with the changes I've made. Any suggestions are most appreciated!
        > >
        > > Regards,
        > >
        > > Al

      • Bomwell, Alan
        Message 4 of 9 , Jan 17, 2013
          Thanks, REG.

          The measurement was taken from the listening chair 9 feet from each speaker. The speakers are not toed in at all which I think explains the large slope in the upper frequencies. 1/3 of the room surface area is absorbed with either carpet or acoustic panels. There are diffusion products on much of the remainder of the walls.

          I did try toeing the speakers so they pointed almost at the listening position and the response was indeed far flatter in the upper frequencies. The sound was brighter, of course. I'll try again.

          Thanks so much!

          Al

          This is something of a mystery to me. Are you in
          a really dead room at a large distance?
          The speaker itself is quite flat. I am not sure
          where the big droop in the higher frequencies
          would have come from.
          Could you describe the nature of this measurement-
          eg how far you were from the speakers.

          REG

          --- In regsaudioforum@yahoogroups.com, "Bomwell, Alan" wrote:

          > REG, here is the full range sweep with the changes I've made. Any suggestions are most appreciated!
          >
          > Regards,
          >
          > Al

        • Bomwell, Alan
          Message 5 of 9 , Jan 17, 2013
            REG, below is a note I received from Doug Sterling in response to my asking him for any setup tips he could offer. You can see why I set the speakers with no toe-in.

            Regards,

            Al

            Hello Al,

            We don't have a users manual.   But there has been some good feed-back from the LS3/6 customer / dealer base.

            This is how I, and quite a few UK customers have set them up:

            Stirling LS3/6 should be positioned at least 15" away from the rear walls and side walls. Ideal distance between the loudspeakers is 6ft (minimum) to 8ft 6 inches (maximum).

            Initially set them up firing straight down the room (no toe-in).  After some running-in (when you've got used to the sound and image width), you can try toeing them in by a small amount, say 10 to 12 degrees.  I have found that very little toe-in is needed.  Most customers position them 6ft to 7ft apart and do not toe them in.

            We fitted bi-wire terminals (two sets of terminals per cabinet), but you should not worry about bi-wiring.  All development and "voicing" has been done without bi-wiring.  Use the lower two terminals only.
            Our LS3/6 can be used with grilles on or off.  With grilles ON, there a slight (.6 dB) reduction in the HF balance.

            Best Regards,Doug Stirling

            Do you have the speakers aimed straight at
            the listening position? You need to
            to get anything like flat response.
            Of course the big rolloff might sound
            somewhat pleasant on a lot of recordings.
            But it is not really right.
            I realize that someone said that
            Stirling the man was quoted by someone
            as saying to point the
            down the room with no toe in
            but I think this is altogether too dim
            and also lacks stereo focus.

            REG

            --- In regsaudioforum@yahoogroups.com, "Robert" wrote:

            > This is something of a mystery to me. Are you in
            > a really dead room at a large distance?
            > The speaker itself is quite flat. I am not sure
            > where the big droop in the higher frequencies
            > would have come from.
            > Could you describe the nature of this measurement-
            > eg how far you were from the speakers.
            >
            > REG
            >
            > --- In regsaudioforum@yahoogroups.com, "Bomwell, Alan" wrote:
            > >
            > > REG, here is the full range sweep with the changes I've made. Any suggestions are most appreciated!
            > >
            > > Regards,
            > >
            > > Al

          • robert jorgensen
            Message 6 of 9 , Jan 17, 2013
              Al,

              You should try to toe them in so that the axis cross well in front of you.  THis will often give less direct trebble but a stronger certer image. You might like it (or not of course)

              Greetings from Brussels

              Robert

              On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 1:39 PM, Bomwell, Alan <abomwell@...> wrote:

              REG, below is a note I received from Doug Sterling in response to my asking him for any setup tips he could offer. You can see why I set the speakers with no toe-in.

              Regards,

              Al

            • yipmangmeng
              Message 7 of 9 , Jan 17, 2013
                I  still have the Spendor manual. It shows the speakers toe in towards the listener or with their axis crossed before the listener.

                Yip

                Message 8 of 9 , Jan 17, 2013
                  Thank you, Robert!

                  Message 9 of 9 , Jan 17, 2013