Dallas Mahler 2

  • Bomwell, Alan
    Message 1 of 56 , Jan 15, 2013
    Hi Jeff,

    Below is a camera phone photo of the DualCore's full frequency sweep measurement, in bypass mode (no EQ applied), of the Sterlings plus sub. I run the Sterlings full-range and let the sub fill in the bottom with a LP filter setting at 45Hz (24dB/octave) on the sub. As you can see there is a significant downward slope. (I hope you can see or enlarge the graph!). I'm still experimenting with toe-in. This measurement is taken with the speakers aimed straight down the room with no toe-in and with the mike 8 feet from each speaker. The downward slope above 1kHz is leveled considerably when aiming the speakers directly at the listening chair. However I do like this sound, at least for now.

    The DualCore correction below 220Hz, with a +2 bass tilt added, does improve the bass and mid-bass by making it clearer and more focused. But even without any EQ applied the Sterlings sound VERY well balanced! (I had to toggle between EQ and bypass several times to decide which setting I preferred).

    What the Sterlings do, which I love, is get the instrumental and vocal characteristic timbre correct, at least as I hear it. TM's description, in an earlier post, of his Spendor 1/2s is what I hear with the Sterlings but the midrange is as clear as any speaker I've had here!

    For multichannel surrounds I use the Gradient Helsinkis. After EQing the Sterlings with the DualCore I run an Audyssey measurement from my Denon receiver of the four speakers (Sterlings+JL sub, and Helsinkis). I then set the Denon EQ to "L/R Bypass" mode which times the four speakers but only EQs the surrounds. The EQ applied by Audyssey to the surrounds in this mode is supposed to be a FR copy of the main L-R speakers. It works!

    Regards,

    Al