Re: [regsaudioforum] Tom M: BDP-105 gapless?

    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 4, 2013
      I'm glad you got an answer from Oppo, Mike, since I have no idea.  I don't use the Oppo or anything to stream music from a computer.  I am not using a computer as a music server.  I have several Logitech Squeezebox Touch units and only use those to stream internet radio.  Quaint, I know.

      On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 6:18 PM, mike44402903 <mprager@...> wrote:

      Hi Tom,

      I've been away from this Forum, experiencing normal life for a while. I am glad to see that you have been enjoying a BDP-105, a unit that's caught my eye also.

      Have you used it as a network receiver (renderer) for streamed music from your computer? I am trying to find out if it will do gapless playback. Or are you feeding it USB (e.g.) directly from the computer, without using your home network?

      I am amazed that one even has to ask about gapless at this late date, but some otherwise well-featured products will NOT do it,

      I am looking for a reasonably priced streamer whose digital output would go into my PS Audio PWD-II, which I like in all other ways, but whose built-in streaming card introduces long gaps between tracks of streamed music. (PS is working on it, but it looks to be a while.)

      Thanks,
      Mike

    • mike44402903
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 5, 2013
        --- In regsaudioforum@yahoogroups.com, "Robert" wrote:

        > Normal life? Oh, you mean dogs?
        > REG

        A cat, actually. Our neighbor has 5 dogs -- enough for one corner of a city block, IMO.
      • mike44402903
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 7, 2013
          Tom, Thanks!

          I'll write more about computer audio (and my love/hate relationship with
          it) when my main computer is back in service.

          Enjoy,
          Mike

          P.S. I view it as a pity (and a peculiarly American one) that Oppo in
          its high-end player did not implement streaming correctly (i.e., without
          added pauses). All the British streamers I have read about do this
          right, including Cambridge, Linn, and Naim. Even the Japanese are moving
          in this direction. It is the American products that consider
          non-pop-song music as a niche consideration.