AR

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 5, 2012
      PS If you use a subwoofered system played
      loudly, the AR will be a bit noisy compared
      to the Well Tempered and Townshend from low frequency
      \bearing noise especially if the bearing is worn at all.
      But in a system without subs the
      rumble in the AR bearing is usually nontroublesome.
      Records are fun and cheap to buy and cheap to
      play well if you do not expect miracles from them.
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 9 3:08 PM

         The AR 3a and other AR models were rolled down in the top. This had the feature--pleasing at the time--of making truly awful recordings like the Mercuries sound halfway agreeable in a sort of hit or miss way. But they are far from accurate in any real sense.

        What is true --please note!--is that if one likes this sound or wants it to fix up the old recordings, then one can just turn down the treble on a modern speaker.

        The ARs had some intriguing features--the wide baffle is good., the small mid dome gives uniform radiation of the mids(if that is what you are after) and bass distortion was low and transient accuracy high. But the treble has little to do with what is really there on the recording.

        Oddly, the existence and popularity of this type of speaker probably played a crucial role in recording at the time--because speakers were dull, the recordings could get away with being quite "hot". If the Spendor BC1 had been made in say 1957, we might have been spared a lot of need to EQ bad recordings.

        And indeed once accurate speakers arrived, at least to some extent. Of course the progress was held up by the fact that recording engineers live much longer than generations of speakers--the guys from the old days kept on using hot mikes for a long time(Wilkinson comes to mind). Ironically by the time people really started to make good recordings on occasion, the classical recording industry was moribund.

        I did not get enough sleep last night! Puts me in a bad mood.

        REG

      • thomasmallin
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 10 4:39 AM
          Interesting thoughts and you're probably right.  This line of thinking would even explain why the ARs managed to fool listeners so well in their live vs. recorded demonstrations.  If the mikes used to capture the recording were bright, that would make the speakers sound flat on top and thus fool the audience.

          That said, I still find the top-end roll down on the vintage ARs pleasing with modern program material because CD recordings are still largely made with bright-sounding microphones and/or with flat microphones placed too close and up high, resulting in too much high frequency energy being captured.  And CDs generally sound brighter than old LPs of the same material, for example.  Engineers keep goosing the high end in a lot of remasterings.

          And even when more high end would be literally more correct sounding with modern well-miked recordings, the error of too little top octave is much more forgivable than too much.  The speakers still sound remarkably like the tonal balance typical of a mid-hall seat in the concert hall.  Yes, the initial transients of high frequencies are rolled off, but that to my ears is much less important to realism than the overall hall-like balance.

          Besides, the tweeters of old ARs, even when you can find NOS versions, are now more than 40 years old and have deteriorated so that the highs are even less robust than they used to be.  Like many other restorations of vintage AR speakers, my AR-3a and AR-5 speakers have newer ferro-fluid cooled tweeters which are less rolled off and can play louder, together with crossover modifications to smoothly integrate those newer tweeters with the midrange.  The highs are still down, just less down than they would now be with the original now-deteriorated tweets.