Re: [regsaudioforum] Re: Boston Symphony's digital subscription

  • Peter
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 26, 2012
      Hi Edward. . .

      >  I read Andrew Quint's article in TAS about using the Oppo 93's esata interface, but it still sounds like a kludge.
      I have the 95, which has one e-sata interface and two USBs, one in front and one in the back.

      I was tempted by the new Oppo 105, which was just had its general public release today.  I was tempted, especially by the built-in headphone amp, but I just can't use most of the new features yet.  I think I have to wait until I upgrade to a 4K 3D TV, which is probably at least two years away for me.  (The Oppo can't play 4K software [of which there is none now anyway], but it can upscale Blu-rays to 4K if you have a 4K TV.)

      Peter

      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 28, 2012
        Hi Edward

        I have been using the Vanity93 in my system since February and it is far from a "kludge". It is a simple replacement for the analog board in the oppo BSD 93 and can be changed-out in just a few minutes. You might want to look at the installation instructions on the Audiopraise web site. You get more stable clocking of the digital outputs as well as the DSD to PCM conversion for SACD.

        I replaced my Pioneer/dvdupgrades board player as I wanted to be able to strip data from Blue Ray discs. The major differences between the Vanity93 and the dvdupgrades boards are the more stable clocking in the Vanity93 and the low pass filter used in the DSD to PCM conversions.

        In my usage, I read the data outputs from the players into my music server (playing the multi-channel files from the music server when I want to listen) so the clock stability is not a major issue for me; the major differences in this usage can be heard as the differences between the low pass filters. When playing from the music server the data outputs are clocked by my ULN-8 - which is extremely stable.

        I think that the Vanity93 is a well thought-out product with a quality digital output.

        Tony