Re: Microfiber Chair Covering

    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 23, 2012
      In practice, I surely agree with this about
      not having anything close to your ears. I sit
      on a thing with no back at all! Of course
      not everyone wants to do such a thing, sit
      under their own power alone, as it were.

      It is interesting to think for a moment
      about why such things are necessary or even
      relevant. The answer it seems to me
      is that in stereo listening one is trying to
      hear another acoustic venue than the one of one's own
      room, with not really enough cues to make
      that listening into the other venue as stable
      and effective as if one were really there. One
      is struggling to hear an impression that would
      be automatic in live experience.

      So one wants to have aa little (early)reflected
      sound as reasonable. In an auditorum, at a live event,
      one is immersed in the acoustic venue itself already and if one
      sits with something close to your ears, then
      this is interpreted as just that, something close
      to your ears in the acoustic venue that you are already
      hearing--because it is really there. It is not interpreted
      as the venue itself changing.

      Even so, it is not a good idea to have a concert
      hall seat that comes up behind your head. This changes
      the sound for the worse. And of course
      concert halls do not, though arguably that is because
      the person behind would have blocked view (visually).

      REG