Re: [regsaudioforum] Re: Stirling Broadcast LS3/6

    Message 1 of 93 , Nov 20, 2012
      I should not have made the blanket statement about the Behringer's noisiness that I did. I only used it in association with the Behringer DCX2496 crossover with my Sanders 10C speakers.  The addition of the DEQ2496 equalizer did not appreciably raise the noise level present when I use the Behringer crossover alone when I used the Behringer EQ's digital inputs and digital outputs.  The chain was TacT digital out to DEQ digital in, to DEQ digital out, to DCX digital in to DCX balanced analog out, to balanced analog inputs of Sanders monobloc amps.

      The Behringer DCX2496 crossover is the only item that is definitely noisy in my system.  I can (and did) eliminate the Behringer crossover from the chain entirely, allowing the TacT to do all preamp input selection, EQ, and digital electronic crossovering for the Sanders speakers.  Eliminating the Behringer crossover moved the hiss level from immediately audible when music was not playing when I entered the room ten feet away from the speakers to no hiss audible at all even with my ear close to touching the electrostatic panel.

      If you have a system with only a single digital source, such as a CD player or computer hard disk, you could easily feed the digital output of the source into the Behringer equalizer's digital input and feed the Behringer's digital output into a DAC.

      By the way, once you figure out how to measure your system with the Behringer DEQ2496 and a microphone (the Behringer ECM 8000 works just fine in this application, but you can use a better mike if you want), it is very easy and fast to adjust the system response to a 1/3-octave resolution target curve of your choice at a single microphone position without use of a computer.  The Behringer's Auto-EQ function does all the work within two minutes of pushing the Auto-EQ button.  Yes, it will probably take hours of reading the manual and playing with the unit to get to the point where you know what you are doing, but once you figure it out, measurement and frequency response adjustment happens that fast with the push of a button.  And even after hours of trying, I could not beat the measured results (measured with another microphone and the Liberty SynRTA program) the Auto-EQ function provided by diddling with manually setting the various bands.

      On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 8:51 AM, barnet.feingold <barnet.feingold@...> wrote:

      The DEQ2496 may be noisy if the analog inputs and/or outputs are used. However, it can accept digital inputs and provide digital outputs. Unsurprisingly, it's silent when used that way.

      Barney

    • yipmangmeng@yahoo.com.sg
      Message 93 of 93 , Dec 5, 2012
        There is a lot of ancient great music on YouTube.