Re: [regsaudioforum] Re: Stirling Broadcast LS3/6

  • Edward Mast
    Message 1 of 93 , Nov 19, 2012
      Some of us have tried 1/3 octave EQ.  Having gotten used to a very quiet system when no music is playing, I was put off by the constant hiss introduced by my dbx unit.  I actually took it to my local repair shop to see what the problem might be.  It should have occurred to me that they wouldn't listen to it, but would simply hook it up to a scope, where no problems showed up.  But they didn't charge me anything to tell me that there was no problem . . .

      Ned
      On Nov 19, 2012, at 1:45 PM, Robert wrote:

      Of course. If one gets pink noise to measure
      and sound the same (at fairly close range),
      violins will tend to sound the same, too.
      The characteristic sound of violins is mostly
      concentrated in a frequency range where
      the ear is hearing primarily the direct arrival
      --not entirely but close.
      Furthermore, most of the BBC speakers have
      a fairly large midrange driver and a tweeter
      with crossover at roughly the same frequency.
      So when one EQs them to match, they match
      quite well in listening terms.
      Not perfectly of course. Material count and
      so on.
      But if you have not tried this--and I gather
      you have not--then you will be surprised how
      well this works.

      Actually I am AMAZED that after all the talk
      about this here, any of you have not tried this.
      Do you play baseball with one hand tied behind
      your back?

      It costs very little to try this. 1/3 octave EQs
      of the analogue kind can be had for under $200.
      How can anyone here NOT do this, just out of curiosity
      if nothing else?

      Unbelievable to me, actually.

      REG

    • yipmangmeng@yahoo.com.sg
      Message 93 of 93 , Dec 5, 2012
        There is a lot of ancient great music on YouTube.