Re: amps and "soundstage"

  • sunilm_k2
    Message 1 of 45 , Jul 1, 2012
      Surely all this is quite easy to test. If it is indeed an aspect of the recorded sound, you should be able to experience it by listening on decent headphones. If you hear a 'soundstage' effect only from your speakers in a room, but not on headphones, then it must be the speaker-room interaction that is causing the effect.

      -- S
    • Edward Mast
      Message 45 of 45 , Jul 10, 2012
        Hello Laurie.  Whoops . . . I was just about to comment on the Naxos Sibelius recording you recommended, to which I've just been listening.  But, aargh, reading your post more closely, I see that I ordered the wrong disc!!  I bought Symphonies 4 & 5 by the Iceland Symphony Orchestra conducted by Petri Sakari, on Naxos.  Recorded in 1997 & 1998.  A nice recording, but not - I think - the equal of Colin Davis with the London Symphony Orchestra.  Back to Amazon . . .

        Ned
        On Jul 5, 2012, at 4:49 PM, laurie483000 wrote:

        This chap doesn't mess up Sibelius :-

        Pietari Inkinen - New Zealand Symphony Orchestra - Sibelius 4th & 5th symphony - Naxos recent recording.

        You were were saying a few days ago how beautiful Telarcs can sound in spite of the flawed mic arrangements - I've been buying and listening to quite a few Telarcs recently and I very much agree. But I reckon this Naxos CD even upstages that sound quality - 4th Symphony in particular - beautiful rich sound from the big strings.

        This was written when Sibelius was at a low ebb and is restless and lets say somewhat unresolved, but I love it. The stereo spread on this disc seems somehow more 'relaxed' than typical Telarcs, but there are a few niggles. When using a sub, there's a background rumble probably from traffic, but it sounds a bit like turntable rumble. The recording is a shade close up and the brass just slightly repressed, but that might suit some people. However these issues don't really dampen my enthusiasm for this disc to any great extent and of course it's at Naxos prices.

        I've already got too many Sibelius symphony sets, but I can see myself gradually aquiring all of this Naxos Sibelius series too.

        Laurie