U shaped foam frame around speakers

  • mm
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 11, 2012
      Has anyone tried out using a thick U shaped foam frame around each speaker to eliminate
      the side reflections?

      Yip
    • HM
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 11, 2012
        Hi Yip
        Do you mean cabinet panels or the front baffle area around the tweeter and midrange?
        I remember speakers from the later 1970ies with thick foam covering the front. The sound must travel through much foam to the side and through little foam towards the listener.
        The BBC LS3/5a had thick felt pads around the tweeter.
        BR HM

        > Has anyone tried out using a thick U shaped foam frame around each speaker to eliminate
        > the side reflections?
        >
        > Yip

      • ymm
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 11, 2012
          Hi HM,

          I mean around the speaker ,sides and back,  like using 3 thick Sonex sheets.

          BR

            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 13, 2012
              "echo muffs" as I recall the name?
              See here
              http://www.bobbyshred.com/infinity/watkins.html
              These guys have got to be good--Kingsport is right
              near Knoxville(my home town).
              Seriously, there are some very interesting measurements
              of after ring of tone bursts shown on this site.
              In a sensible world, everyone would be looking
              into this!
              REG

              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 13, 2012
                WOW!!  A true blast from the past.  That's the firm and those are the images they used in the old ads.  The Watkins was wide so as to build in the echo muffs concept.  The width probably also lowered the baffle step.  The Watkins woofer was used in many of the big Infinity systems from that era.

                On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 2:50 PM, Robert <regtas43@...> wrote:

                "echo muffs" as I recall the name?
                See here
                http://www.bobbyshred.com/infinity/watkins.html
                These guys have got to be good--Kingsport is right
                near Knoxville(my home town).
                Seriously, there are some very interesting measurements
                of after ring of tone bursts shown on this site.
                In a sensible world, everyone would be looking
                into this!
                REG

                --- In regsaudioforum@yahoogroups.com, Tom Mallin <tmallin4@...> wrote:

                > Yes, many years ago when such a product was marketed in the US by a speaker company named Watkins, I tried a homemade version. At the time I quickly concluded that while it had a positive effect, putting the Sonex on the walls further from the speakers was much more effective. You need more Sonex for wall treatment, though.
                >

                > On Jun 11, 2012, at 4:55 AM, ymm <yipmangmeng@...> wrote:
                >
                > > Hi HM,
                > >
                > > I mean around the speaker ,sides and back, like using 3 thick Sonex sheets.
                > >
                > > BR
                > > Yip

              • HM
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 13, 2012
                  Was the Watkins woofer the one with 2 voice coils driven individually via separate crossover branches to have one voice coil for deep bass and the two for getting upper bass right?
                  BR HM

                  > WOW!! A true blast from the past. That's the firm and those are the
                  > images they used in the old ads. The Watkins was wide so as to build in
                  > the echo muffs concept. The width probably also lowered the baffle step.
                  > The Watkins woofer was used in many of the big Infinity systems from that
                  > era.
                  >
                  > On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 2:50 PM, Robert <regtas43@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > **
                  > >

                  > > "echo muffs" as I recall the name?
                  > > See here
                  > > http://www.bobbyshred.com/infinity/watkins.html
                  > > These guys have got to be good--Kingsport is right
                  > > near Knoxville(my home town).
                  > > Seriously, there are some very interesting measurements
                  > > of after ring of tone bursts shown on this site.
                  > > In a sensible world, everyone would be looking
                  > > into this!
                  > > REG
                  > >
                  > > --- In regsaudioforum@yahoogroups.com, Tom Mallin <tmallin4@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Yes, many years ago when such a product was marketed in the US by a
                  > > speaker company named Watkins, I tried a homemade version. At the time I
                  > > quickly concluded that while it had a positive effect, putting the Sonex on
                  > > the walls further from the speakers was much more effective. You need more
                  > > Sonex for wall treatment, though.

                  > > sheets.

                • mm
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 13, 2012
                    Looks like a tall Quad 63 and maybe someone may want to own such a vintage speaker. Tom?

                    Yip

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 13, 2012
                      I don't think these speakers are being made anymore, Yip, even though the designer is still alive and repairing the woofers.  I once came "this close" to buying them, but decided not to once I determined that the echo muff concept did not have as beneficial effect on imaging and staging as padding the walls.  (In my current room, I also tried absorbing the back wave of the Carver Amazings with Sonex placed a few inches behind them.  Same result.)

                      Even a few years ago, the Watkins speakers were rare on the used market.  Not many were made, JGH's approval notwithstanding.

                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 13, 2012
                        As I recall, TAS liked these pretty well, too.
                        I can look this up. Certainly they were
                        considerably discussed.

                        Message 11 of 11 , Jun 13, 2012
                          I just searched for these speakers on e-Bay, Audiogon, and nationwide on Craigslist.  As I suspected, none are offered for sale.