Table radio sound

  • Will_H
    Message 1 of 19 , May 5, 2012
      The Tivoli Model One table radio in my home office sounds incredible.
      Beautifully warm, full sound.

      Message 2 of 19 , May 5, 2012
        This was a figure of speech! Of course a table radio
        could sound good. My little Proton from a garage
        sale sounds rather nice too($10).
        Sometimes they are cleverly contoured to sound better
        than one expects.

        But I presume people knew what I referred to--the
        all midrange sound of old model table radios of
        the kind one bought in grocery stores.
        Not that they were all unpleasant. But they were
        not high fideltiy and could not reproduce
        large scaled music effectively.

        One thing I have noticed about the Quads was that when
        I used them, I listened much less to big music than I do now,

        REG

        Message 3 of 19 , May 5, 2012
          As one has come to expect from PSB, the speaker
          is really well designed and smooth. PSB is one
          of the few companies that can be relied upon not
          to screw up and not to do anything crazy!
          Perfect? Not quite, to judge from looking.
          For example there is a bit much right at 1k.
          I would pull this down a dB or two. And probably
          a little relaxation of 3-4 k would be good.
          (The peak up near 20 kHz is too high to affect timbre
          as such but it might tend to add a bit of edge to the
          sound and one might as well take that out, too).

          There is a little more distortion than one might like
          to see in the 200-500 Hz region but it probably does
          not amount to much in audible terms. And the absence
          of dynamic compression is admirable in a speaker of this size.

          The off axis is pleasantly consistent and the whole
          thing looks very nice. Probably after just a little touch
          up with EQ, it sounds really really dandy, would be my guess.
          And it probably sound quite nice as is, too.

          In all honesty, one looks at this and wonders what the Devil
          people are expecting to get at high prices that they are
          not going to get here. Deep bass is missing of course but the
          room will bring it up some(the measurements shown do not
          seem superficially consistent with the specs listed for
          bass extension on the PSB website.
          http://www.psbspeakers.com/content/120120080437-PSB_Imagine-T2_Data-Sheet.pdf
          I am not sure what that is about. I suppose that the spec includes floor reinforcement whereas the NRC measurements do not is one possibility(everyone has a floor!)

          Anyway, looks like another nice one from PSB. Listen hard before you
          spend more money! Except for small and adjustable changes in frequency response, one has to ask exactly what it is that people think they are going to get in measurement terms anyway(which is all I am commenting on here) by spending vastly more money. I said something similar about the PSB model I reviewed in TAS not long ago--touch up just a little with EQ and cat's meow. True of that, probably true of this too. Moreover, Paul Barton is one of the few people
          who really seems to care about and know how to deal with the floor interaction.
          This is vital and it separates PSB from most other companies.

          REG

          --- In regsaudioforum@yahoogroups.com, "Will_H" <will_hum@...> wrote:

          > REG, I'd be interested in what you think of these measurements :
          >
          > http://www.soundstagenetwork.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=754%3Anrc-measurements-psb-imagine-t2-loudspeakers&catid=77%3Aloudspeaker-measurements&Itemid=18

        • Will_H
          Message 4 of 19 , May 5, 2012
            Thanks Robert. Looks like another winner. I'm still happy with the T6 in
            my listening room, but we're thinking of setting up a home theatre
            downstairs, so this looks like a good "anchor" to base it on.

            I wish one day Paul Barton would focus his attention on a wide baffle
            speaker.

            > As one has come to expect from PSB, the speaker
            > is really well designed and smooth. PSB is one
            > of the few companies that can be relied upon not
            > to screw up and not to do anything crazy!
            > Perfect? Not quite, to judge from looking.
            > For example there is a bit much right at 1k.
            > I would pull this down a dB or two. And probably
            > a little relaxation of 3-4 k would be good.
            > (The peak up near 20 kHz is too high to affect timbre
            > as such but it might tend to add a bit of edge to the
            > sound and one might as well take that out, too).
            >
            > There is a little more distortion than one might like
            > to see in the 200-500 Hz region but it probably does
            > not amount to much in audible terms. And the absence
            > of dynamic compression is admirable in a speaker of this size.
            >
            > The off axis is pleasantly consistent and the whole
            > thing looks very nice. Probably after just a little touch
            > up with EQ, it sounds really really dandy, would be my guess.
            > And it probably sound quite nice as is, too.
            >
            > In all honesty, one looks at this and wonders what the Devil
            > people are expecting to get at high prices that they are
            > not going to get here. Deep bass is missing of course but the
            > room will bring it up some(the measurements shown do not
            > seem superficially consistent with the specs listed for
            > bass extension on the PSB website.
            > http://www.psbspeakers.com/content/120120080437-PSB_Imagine-T2_Data-Sheet.pdf
            > I am not sure what that is about. I suppose that the spec includes floor
            > reinforcement whereas the NRC measurements do not is one
            > possibility(everyone has a floor!)
            >
            > Anyway, looks like another nice one from PSB. Listen hard before you
            > spend more money! Except for small and adjustable changes in frequency
            > response, one has to ask exactly what it is that people think they are
            > going to get in measurement terms anyway(which is all I am commenting on
            > here) by spending vastly more money. I said something similar about the
            > PSB model I reviewed in TAS not long ago--touch up just a little with EQ
            > and cat's meow. True of that, probably true of this too. Moreover, Paul
            > Barton is one of the few people
            > who really seems to care about and know how to deal with the floor
            > interaction.
            > This is vital and it separates PSB from most other companies.
            >
            > REG
            >
            > --- In regsaudioforum@yahoogroups.com, "Will_H" <will_hum@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> REG, I'd be interested in what you think of these measurements :
            >>
            >> http://www.soundstagenetwork.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=754%3Anrc-measurements-psb-imagine-t2-loudspeakers&catid=77%3Aloudspeaker-measurements&Itemid=18

          • ymm
            Message 5 of 19 , May 5, 2012
              I can't receive REG's emails for 3 weeks now.

              Yip

              Message 6 of 19 , May 5, 2012

                could they be in your spam folder?

                Message 7 of 19 , May 5, 2012
                  Nothing in my spam folder.
                  Otherwise, I won't receive any emails from the forum.

                  Yip

                  Message 8 of 19 , May 5, 2012
                    While I agree in principle(about the wide baffle).
                    he is doing so well with the floor interaction
                    via his multiple bass drivers that it seemed
                    to me to make less difference(in the one I reviewed)
                    than I expected. It really did work right down
                    through the crucial sub 250 Hz region.

                    Message 9 of 19 , May 6, 2012
                      It might be that REG's email address has somehow become blocked.
                      If you use the Yahoo! Mail browser, check "Options" - mail options - blocked addresses.

                      Fred.

                      I can't receive REG's emails for 3 weeks now.

                      Message 10 of 19 , May 6, 2012
                        Just for the record, my yahoo email
                        regtas43@...
                        is not working and apparently will never work
                        again--they have been trying for three months or
                        more to fix it and it never gets fixed. It is still
                        there but I cannot reach it

                        So please use
                        regtas43@...
                        if you want to send me an email.
                        Thanks
                        REG
                        --- In regsaudioforum@yahoogroups.com, Fred <glenndriech@...> wrote:

                        > It might be that REG's email address has somehow become blocked.
                        > If you use the Yahoo! Mail browser, check "Options" - mail options - blocked addresses.
                        >

                        > Fred.

                      • mm
                        Message 11 of 19 , May 7, 2012
                          No blocked addresses .
                          Big mystery.
                          I can receive emails from others on the forum.

                          Yip